Showering with the Red Foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

twidgetmom

5 Year Member
Just read on a thread that some tort owners take their babies into the bathroom with them during their showers so as to share the humidity and water. Just took our 10 month old Red Foot in with me for the first time.
I have never seen the little Schnitt (that's his name) so active or so happy. He also pooped three healthy hardy piles while we were in there.
I didn't let the water fall directly on him. The humidity in the room was at 60%. It almost seemed like he was running around splashing in the puddles,
It sure was a fun experience.
My question is how often is this good for him? How often is too much?

Any help would be great. Schnitt has quickly become my favorite of our six. ImageUploadedByTortForum1381095344.900221.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381095359.838881.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381095379.057360.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
cute little guy. my guess would be to do it as much as you would soak them, but dont stop soaking them. im not sure though. im trying to get one of these guys, so far no luck.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Multitasking! We have a dog that loves to get in the shower, makes sense for the humidity loving Redfoot :)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would think you could do this every day, with a Redfoot!
They thrive in water.

Cute baby!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Cute, but i wouldn't do that with my redfoot. He chases my toes all the time around the house to begin with. I could just imagine what he would do in the shower..lol..

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I was going to say the samething with the toes. My big guy follows me around the yard and if I am barefooted...look out. He sees food.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Out of curiosity, what about the soap you use in the shower? Is that harmful to tortoises? I've always wondered about what folks do about washing up when they have a tortoise in the shower with them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

twidgetmom

5 Year Member
I let roam on the bathroom floor while I shampooed. I bought him in the stall while my conditioner was soaking in and I was shaving, moisturizing, etcetera.
When I rinsed the conditioner, I put him right outside the door. He waited, right outside, almost as if to say, wait a minute I want back in.

Then I put him back in the stall with water running lightly while I dried off, put cream on my legs and blowdryed my hair. He loved every minute of it. He was in the hot steam of the bathroom for about 20 minutes. He was much more active yesterday after his shower.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My suggestion is to not do this. The reason, you still always have soap residue on your tub/shower sides and floor from the last shower. You could however, put him in the room and shut the door to hold the humidity in the room. Let his sit in that. Also, you do have him in a humid enclosure, correct, without a wet top layer of substrate? They are prone to shell rot, so they should not sit on wet substrate. Pouring the water into the corners to soak the underneath works good.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
wellington said:
My suggestion is to not do this. The reason, you still always have soap residue on your tub/shower sides and floor from the last shower. You could however, put him in the room and shut the door to hold the humidity in the room. Let his sit in that. Also, you do have him in a humid enclosure, correct, without a wet top layer of substrate? They are prone to shell rot, so they should not sit on wet substrate. Pouring the water into the corners to soak the underneath works good.

I totally agree! I would not take the chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.