Show and Tell

ColumbiaJane

5 Year Member
My kids would like to bring their desert tortoise to school for a brief visit for show and tell. I’ll be watching closely and kids will be instructed to “look, don’t touch”. It’s a private school, small class sizes, well maintained… Are there any reasons that we should not do this?

ColumbiaJane

5 Year Member
Never mind. I just found these threads from past discussions. I’m getting excited for our little field trip. Hoping we can be out on the grass. I have asked about any chemical treatments out there. I know my guy would love meeting kids out on their playground.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Never mind. I just found these threads from past discussions. I’m getting excited for our little field trip. Hoping we can be out on the grass. I have asked about any chemical treatments out there. I know my guy would love meeting kids out on their playground.
Few things are more appealing to children than watching a tortoise eat - especially if they can get a glimpse of his tongue - if the weather is poor, take some special leaves that he likes, so you can demonstrate !
Angie

ColumbiaJane

5 Year Member
If you need any tips, a member @Team Gomberg shares her tortoise and other animals with groups a lot. She can help you.
Thank you. I’m taking notes from past threads and doing a little research. It’s 1st and 2nd graders who we will be visiting, hoping to keep it fairly simple. How do I contact Team Gomberg? (My technical skills are limited)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you. I’m taking notes from past threads and doing a little research. It’s 1st and 2nd graders who we will be visiting, hoping to keep it fairly simple. How do I contact Team Gomberg? (My technical skills are limited)
You can clock on her highlighted name in my thread. Then where it says start a conversation click on that and you can send her a private message.
Also her name is highlighted in my post so it would send her an alert to this thread.

ColumbiaJane

5 Year Member
You can clock on her highlighted name in my thread. Then where it says start a conversation click on that and you can send her a private message.
Also her name is highlighted in my post so it would send her an alert to this thread.
Got it! (I think)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My kids would like to bring their desert tortoise to school for a brief visit for show and tell. I’ll be watching closely and kids will be instructed to “look, don’t touch”. It’s a private school, small class sizes, well maintained… Are there any reasons that we should not do this?
Hello. My grandchildren have always enjoyed a visit with my little Russian. IF I let him run around checking out my grands, first I make them sit down and tell them not to look like a great big monster towering over him. Also no quick movements. He's just a little fella. Just let him decide what he's comfortable with. And then the magic happens. Have so much fun 😘

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hi there, so happy that you get to share your tortoise with others!

Here are the top tips I have for you:

-Soak your tortoise for at least an hour in warm water before you go. This will allow him to empty his tank before the trip and not in the car.

-I also highly recommend you bring a giant blanket to lay down on the ground. You can set the tortoise on the blanket with the kids seated in a circle around. Offer them pieces of romaine (or sprinkle the romaine around the circle) so they can all have good viewing and opportunities to watch him eat.
Without the blanket or "home base" you will end up all over the place. trust me. LOL It also helps the kids stay focused and seated because you ask them to stay off the blanket. Without this, the extroverted kiddos will monopolize the petting time and the introverted/shy children will miss out. It's easy to happen and easy to go unnoticed but I have had HUGE compliments from parents and teachers because my circle time avoids this. Kids are always welcome to pet and feed when he's on their side of the circle. And as the trainer, you can ensure he moves around and spends time in front of everyone.

-I never trust the "untreated grass" because I once saw pesticide being sprayed on a park that the park rec committee swore was untreated. No harm brining your own. Romaine lettuce was only ever used for these types of treats, so it makes the tortoise happy.
When feeding the romaine leaves, have the kiddo hold the end like the plant root and once the tort gets close to fingers tell them to drop the leaf or else their finger gets fed into the conveyor belt ;)

-For talking points you can cover the 4 basic zoology points.
What type of animal is it
Where is it found in nature
What does it do in the ecosystem
What special features and abilities does it have to perform this task.

I'm sure you can answer those but if you want, I'm happy to lay out some specifics. It's what I do for a living so clearly I'm passionate about it! haha

Good luck. Would love to see photos from the event!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi there, so happy that you get to share your tortoise with others!

Here are the top tips I have for you:

-Soak your tortoise for at least an hour in warm water before you go. This will allow him to empty his tank before the trip and not in the car.

-I also highly recommend you bring a giant blanket to lay down on the ground. You can set the tortoise on the blanket with the kids seated in a circle around. Offer them pieces of romaine (or sprinkle the romaine around the circle) so they can all have good viewing and opportunities to watch him eat.
Without the blanket or "home base" you will end up all over the place. trust me. LOL It also helps the kids stay focused and seated because you ask them to stay off the blanket. Without this, the extroverted kiddos will monopolize the petting time and the introverted/shy children will miss out. It's easy to happen and easy to go unnoticed but I have had HUGE compliments from parents and teachers because my circle time avoids this. Kids are always welcome to pet and feed when he's on their side of the circle. And as the trainer, you can ensure he moves around and spends time in front of everyone.

-I never trust the "untreated grass" because I once saw pesticide being sprayed on a park that the park rec committee swore was untreated. No harm brining your own. Romaine lettuce was only ever used for these types of treats, so it makes the tortoise happy.
When feeding the romaine leaves, have the kiddo hold the end like the plant root and once the tort gets close to fingers tell them to drop the leaf or else their finger gets fed into the conveyor belt ;)

-For talking points you can cover the 4 basic zoology points.
What type of animal is it
Where is it found in nature
What does it do in the ecosystem
What special features and abilities does it have to perform this task.

I'm sure you can answer those but if you want, I'm happy to lay out some specifics. It's what I do for a living so clearly I'm passionate about it! haha

Good luck. Would love to see photos from the event!
Perfect. My grandchildren would get so excited and didn't realize they are scaring my animals half to death. 🐢I always make children sit on the floor when they are around my animals. It's more enjoyable for everyone.🤗

ColumbiaJane

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your input. One of the moms took pictures, but I don’t have any. Sorry. We had a great visit. It was the 1st and 2nd grade class and I brought grape leaves and rose of Sharon flowers and the tortoise performed beautifully. All the kids got to take turns touching him and they asked good questions and then they went back to class and we invited the kindergartners out. They all sat in a line and watched him march past. It was the largest turf area he’s ever seen! And last, we visited the 3rd and 4th grade class. (He never went to the bathroom)😁And he went right into his cave when we got home. I think he was pooped out. The kids, the teachers and the couple of moms that were helping all had a really good time. AND I may have found a good family to will him to👍

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks everyone for your input. One of the moms took pictures, but I don’t have any. Sorry. We had a great visit. It was the 1st and 2nd grade class and I brought grape leaves and rose of Sharon flowers and the tortoise performed beautifully. All the kids got to take turns touching him and they asked good questions and then they went back to class and we invited the kindergartners out. They all sat in a line and watched him march past. It was the largest turf area he’s ever seen! And last, we visited the 3rd and 4th grade class. (He never went to the bathroom)😁And he went right into his cave when we got home. I think he was pooped out. The kids, the teachers and the couple of moms that were helping all had a really good time. AND I may have found a good family to will him to👍
Wonderful report! :)

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Nice tort and nice it all worked out at the school. I am sure he was talked about by many afterwards :):tort: