Taking my animals to daughters class?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
Schools are shut down right now, so my little girl is doing a lot of class on the computer. Every morning she has to do a Check in video, I’m guessing as a way of attendance. To make it fun for her, the wife and I let her introduce one of the animals for her videos.
I have kind of been put on the spot to bring them to the school for a first grade show and tell, once school opens.
I would love to do it, but it sounds like a liability. I have thought of doing it but not letting anyone besides me and my daughter touch the animals. I would tell about the animal, and my daughter could be my assistant doing most of the handling.
What do you guys think?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
i think it would be near impossible for kids to not touch your Animals, what grade is she in? also yes i think it’s a great idea, so kids learn about animals but if i was a kid i would love to touch the animals.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I see your point. I have a few very docile creatures they could pet.
Then it should be no problem, but i doubt there’s going to be school, at least for me i’m in high school and believe there’s no school until this school year finishes. (which is about to)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I brought Ink my Leopard tortoise to 2 different schools and 3 classrooms. I made sure that the principal and vice principal were well aware. The teachers also explained to the kids do not touch, look but don't touch. That they could get our family tortoise sick.They all had to stay 3 feet away. The teachers were on top of it and so was I. If anyone doesn't follow directions the tortoise leaves. I did this for special needs classes and was asked to show him to the kindergarten class. That was awhile ago, rules change. They all enjoyed it, and best of all, my boy didn't flash the kids...just pooped.LOL

jeneliza

burton michigan
I done this a few times, but for education, when they where learning about reptiles, how I did it was I brought hand sanitizer, and asked the children to sit in a circle, and talked about the torts, and how to interact with her, and what not to do, and if and child couldn't behave and follow the safety rules, I would ask that the teacher have them move from the circle, they all listened , this was cleared with the teacher ahead of time, for safety reasons, but after the rules etc I let her out of the carrier, and let her walk around, she walked up to each kid, but each kid had washed there hands before hand, I let them pet her, and touch , but no one held her, as she walked around I explained her, and living conditions and needs, etc, it went well both times, but I don't know if I have done it for really young children, they lack the ability to sit still for long, and tend to get excited, in my case, both times my kids where 4 and 5, grade, so the kids where old enough to understand, the need to sit still