Should you walk your tortoise?

mostchou

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I'm very happy that I will become and dalmatian tortoise owner very soon. I have done some homework on my future friend, and I found it would nice to keep them outside. However, it is very likely that I could only keep my tortoise in a enclosure, but I'm wondering should I take my tortoise to the outside to play such as a park with grassland etc? Is it beneficial or will make the tortoise stress out (new environment). Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Not really a good idea. You don't know what kind of poison they may have used. What's best is to build a proper outside enclosure in your own yard that you know has no poisons, like fertilizers or pesticides. At least during warm days a tortoise should be able to roam outside and can be brought back in at night.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts don't handle change well and most are stressed by car journeys.

As you cannot guarantee how the grass has been treated wherever you take it, there is a high risk of your tort eating something treated with pesticides or herbicides and of picking up worms or other parasites.

Your tort will be much happier and healthier in an indoor enclosure or your own back yard. Don't take him anywhere else.

mostchou

Thank you guys! Since I'm actually living in an apartment, maybe the best option is to move the enclosure under the sunshine.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you guys! Since I'm actually living in an apartment, maybe the best option is to move the enclosure under the sunshine.
Your tort won't get UV through window glass. Indoors you must provide a UVB lamp to benefit your tort. A Mercury Vapor Bulb that provides basking heat as well as UVB is best.

If you have a balcony the tort's enclosure could go on that for a while, but doesn't have to.

mostchou

Your tort won't get UV through window glass. Indoors you must provide a UVB lamp to benefit your tort. A Mercury Vapor Bulb that provides basking heat as well as UVB is best.

If you have a balcony the tort's enclosure could go on that for a while, but doesn't have to.
Great learning! Thanks!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome!
This is kind of hard to hear, but tortoises LOVE to eat dog and cat poop. It is a great way to pick up parasites that will harm your tortoise,
and another reason why I wouldn't take a tortoise to a public park.

mostchou

Welcome!
This is kind of hard to hear, but tortoises LOVE to eat dog and cat poop. It is a great way to pick up parasites that will harm your tortoise,
and another reason why I wouldn't take a tortoise to a public park.
Thank you!