Somewhat Unfriendly Baby Tortoise

HoneyBea23

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
New tortoise owner here -- I am wondering if I could get a few opinions on whether or not I should exchange my new baby tortoise for another species, or stay dedicated to it. I have owned him/her for almost a week and have found it to be much less friendly and active than I initially encountered, with its size being exceptionally small which troubles me. I understand that the stress of moving to a new environment for him/her, but its size being a little more than a toonie (yes, I'm Canadian), it puts me in a constant worry over him which has ruined my experience. Should I exchange him for a larger, more established Greek tortoise, or keep this tiny Hermann's?

HoneyBea23

Ontario
Yes, I think it's mostly its tiny size that has made me uneasy -- constantly worrying about it! Do you have experience with Hermann's? If so, would you say that they grow fairly well and become more independent?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All babies of all species hide and tend to be shy. In the wild, everything eats them. Boldness would be quickly rewarded with death. Shyness keeps babies alive.

As the years go by, your tortoise will be more outgoing and curious. It takes time.

In general, eastern hermanni are more outgoing than greeks. That has been my observation.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Why not take a bit of your time and read about these tortoises and what to expect? Give the little guy a chance to get to know his environment and his keeper. As far as he is concerned, he has been kidnapped and taken against his will to a strange and very scary place with huge monsters hovering over him.
Patience is what you need to exercise here. Getting a different one will not solve your impatience, and may only make you feel worse about keeping a tortoise at all. Learn about him! Learn what he needs and wait for him to develop, grow strong and healthy and lose his fear of you. It's all in the game! Good luck.:):tort:

HoneyBea23

Ontario
Thank you Mizcreant, Tom and TammyJ for all of your advice and opinions on my concerns! In general I tend to be a worrier and over thinker, so this has certainly calmed and reassured me to take the time to study him a bit more and give him space. Over the next week, I will also try to hold him in the palm of my hand within the enclosure just to see if that makes him more comfortable. I'm in it for the long haul -- thank you again! :)

HoneyBea23

Ontario
Why not take a bit of your time and read about these tortoises and what to expect? Give the little guy a chance to get to know his environment and his keeper. As far as he is concerned, he has been kidnapped and taken against his will to a strange and very scary place with huge monsters hovering over him.
Patience is what you need to exercise here. Getting a different one will not solve your impatience, and may only make you feel worse about keeping a tortoise at all. Learn about him! Learn what he needs and wait for him to develop, grow strong and healthy and lose his fear of you. It's all in the game! Good luck.:):tort:
Hahaha I do tend to hover over him, peeping through the enclosure cover! You're completely right in all that you have said, and thank you for the good luck wishes! :)

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hahaha I do tend to hover over him, peeping through the enclosure cover! You're completely right in all that you have said, and thank you for the good luck wishes! :)
We've all gone through that at one point or another. I'd be more concerned if you were less concerned! ;)

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Thank you Mizcreant, Tom and TammyJ for all of your advice and opinions on my concerns! In general I tend to be a worrier and over thinker, so this has certainly calmed and reassured me to take the time to study him a bit more and give him space. Over the next week, I will also try to hold him in the palm of my hand within the enclosure just to see if that makes him more comfortable. I'm in it for the long haul -- thank you again! :)

we’ve all been there. You wouldn’t be human if you didn’t worry! Talk to him. Cuddle with him. Mine likes to be on my shoulder right up by my neck. He will learn to recognize your voice and your face. You will become that “big thing that’s nice to me.” Best wishes, take a deep breath, and enjoy your new baby.

HoneyBea23

Ontario
we’ve all been there. You wouldn’t be human if you didn’t worry! Talk to him. Cuddle with him. Mine likes to be on my shoulder right up by my neck. He will learn to recognize your voice and your face. You will become that “big thing that’s nice to me.” Best wishes, take a deep breath, and enjoy your new baby.
Thank you for your kind words and support! I will be sure to follow what you say and be less worried -- I need to practice more patience with him/her and I am sure it will pay off! Merry Christmas :)