Should you get a tortoise from a pet store?

Is it okay to buy a tortoise from a pet store?

• No

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Okay, but don't want to encourage pet stores to sell tortoises

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
SaveTheTortoise said:
Actually yesterday we had a group tested just arrived from Florida, and parasites found, there was also another surprising issue. I rather not say from who they were purchased from to be nice. I agree with that statement above that it is probably as common in pet shops but at least you can personally examine the animal and have face to face dealings with the business owner locally with a possible 48 hour vet check guarantee, rather then getting a tortoise shipped over the USA by faith. Knowing who your dealing with is key.

I apologize for spot lighting the lovely state of Florida, I was just upset at the lack of integrity of the persons that were trusted from Florida with a particular purchase made in which they became extremely and suspiciously defensive when notified of the fecal exam results. I don't know that Florida is more or less parasitical than other states but there seems to be more reptiles breeders and reptile trades from that State than any other State. I am interested in this topic and will try to find out more information regarding parasites in Florida compared to the other States. With Florida's warmer weather and swampy and humid conditions and with the high number of reptiles in Florida, my first hunch is probably correct. I personally love Florida and wish I lived there now. Here in Illinois now it's cold and dry this time of the year when I dislike it the most. My favorite reptile pet shop here in Illinois is about 10 miles away, its called http://www.chicagoreptile.net/ years ago I bought 3 very nice leopard tortoises there that never had a issue. Last week I seen a gorgeous clown face redfoot, and sometimes they have a Star. I am sure if I bought a tortoise there the owner would give me a 48 vet check guarantee as long as I had the vet report to prove it. They seem like a legitimate business. Again I apologize about the parasites floating around comment. Peace and love :)

You have me curous who this person is now...Could you pm it to me? I like to know what vendor to buy from =/.
I agree, there is a much more concentrated amount of breeders in Florida then most any other state.
While my knowledge in microbiology is certainly NOT where I would like it to be, I do agree that swampy, humid, warm Florida does seem like it would be a good breeding ground for parasites. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes though.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
No worries. Mind you, FL seems to also receive a massive chunk of imported supply and I have been seeing more and more WC stuff being advertised as CB these days (including more than a few extremely obvious cases on this forum, although what I have seen on this forum generally was not being sold out of FL), so I am not sure how much imports being mixed (untreated) with CB and sold as CB may play into things (I really do not know for sure how big this type of traffic is with such establishments since I have no involvement in that aspect of the trade). Some folks do things with care and some folks seem not to. I would not want to paint with too wide of a brush because the good ones did nothing to earn the reputations the bad ones deserve.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Depends what pet store and where they get the torts. Petsmart and Petco would be the top places for people to find them so no for now.

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm partial to both yes and no. A breeder will charge you $200 for a mature Greek tortoise, but you can buy one at a Petsmart/Pet store for $60-$80.
I bought my male Greek from Petsmart and found out he had a UTI. I took him to the vet and paid $120, so it would've been better if I'd bought him from a breeder!
My female I also bought from a pet store. Again, I only paid $80 for her, and shes fill grown. She was also in perfect health, so I spent the extra $50 to get her checked out and she looked great according to my vet. So I don't know, I walked in there to get a cuddle bone and fell in love with both of them while browsing. I don't think it's right to buy reptiles from Petsmart or petco because the staff are very uneducated on many things.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
I voted its ok. My Greek came from Tyler at tortoise supply. I mainly got from a breeder the first time because i wanted a hatchling. I had my heart set on a baby. I do have to admit that I feel a lot better about the petsmart that's here in Lafayette, in. I work next door to the petsmart, so of course I'm in there constantly. The staff knows me at this point. Haha, but I went in there right after they opened the other day and they were still getting everything set up for the day. I noticed they had a Greek tort where they used to have their Russian but there was nothing in the tank. So I wander around a little bit and I see the employee putting the tort back in his tank and hear her tell someone "he just had a bath". Made me smile that the tort was at least hydrated on a regular basis.

Also, I will admit, I've fallen in love with another tort. He/she's at a local mom and pop place in town. He is a yellowfoot that looks to be not quite full grown, granted I've never seen him out of the tank...my boyfriend won't let me near him in fear that I will never let go... And he's only $150. I'm moving to a house in June and I'm not leaving this city without this tortoise...oh, and he's been at this pet store for at least 2 years. :( he needs to come home with me...

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Yes he does!

I know nothing about yellowfoots so I'm trying to learn little by little. But I'm in an apartment at the moment and I have no clue how I would keep him or create an enclosure big enough.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
surie_the_tortoise said:
to many other animals needing rescued to get from a pet store

Yes this is a true statement. But on my local CL there have been alot of $2-400 sulcata tortoises for rehoming.

ssha_miami

5 Year Member
We should vote to stop pet smart sell reptile. I believe professional reptile store will provide better care, and knowledge.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
Laurie said:
My Brains came from petsmart and he is one hell of a tortoise :)

lol when i first read this, i was just skimming and didn't catch the entire sentence ... i did a double take and then had quite a laugh. :D

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Mjdeisher, I wouldn't consider Tyler a pet store, but I do like to hear that PetSmart at least gave the greek a bath.

I also wanted to say I am really glad I posted this thread I learned alot and I'm sure others have as well. So thank you everyone for your oppinions! :D

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Spn785 said:
Mjdeisher, I wouldn't consider Tyler a pet store, but I do like to hear that PetSmart at least gave the greek a bath.

I also wanted to say I am really glad I posted this thread I learned alot and I'm sure others have as well. So thank you everyone for your oppinions! :D

I said Tyler was a breeder, not a pet store. I went to a breeder because I wanted a hatchling. Otherwise I probably would go to a pet store. Although Tyler's got a massive collection, definitely better care than a store!

ssha_miami

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
As an odd coincidence, my pancake originally came from a petsmart.

It's really surprising petsmart has pancake. I saw once red foot in petsmart in Kentucky, but in miami, petsmart only has Russian tort.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
ssha_miami said:
It's really surprising petsmart has pancake. I saw once red foot in petsmart in Kentucky, but in miami, petsmart only has Russian tort.

Ssha_miami, I believe they petsmart thought they had a deformed, pretty russian tortoise. I believe they had no knowledge that he was a pancake.

ssha_miami

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
Ssha_miami, I believe they petsmart thought they had a deformed, pretty russian tortoise. I believe they had no knowledge that he was a pancake.

Hahaha. I'm a foreigner and read several times until I understand your post. It's really funny. I laughed for a whole night.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Mjdeisher said:
Spn785 said:

I said Tyler was a breeder, not a pet store. I went to a breeder because I wanted a hatchling. Otherwise I probably would go to a pet store. Although Tyler's got a massive collection, definitely better care than a store!

Sorry, my mistake. :D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
ssha_miami said:
Hahaha. I'm a foreigner and read several times until I understand your post. It's really funny. I laughed for a whole night.

Now, I too, am laughing!

Status
Not open for further replies.