Should you get a tortoise from a pet store?

Is it okay to buy a tortoise from a pet store?

• No

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Okay, but don't want to encourage pet stores to sell tortoises

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
Hi! I have seen alot of people asking questions like this, so: would you suggest someone buy a tortoise from a pet store?

Sorry the first option should just be No.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would not suggest anyone buy from a pet store. But i must add this is strictly my opinion. You dont know where they came from, how old they are. If they have problems. You get what? A 30 day guarantee...then they try to sell you things you dont need. Give you bad advise..nope...not for me...just my opinion...

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I put indifferent, but basically, I feel that it depends on the petstore. Some are excellent and take great care of their animals. I have no problem buying healthy animals from a good establishment that prioritizes the health and well-being of their animals.

On the other hand, I would never recommend buying from a store that does not understand the basic needs of its animals and does not provide healthy, well-cared for pets.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I've gone with option two. I generally don't agree with pet stores, as I think we're overrun with pets, but in some cases they're the only way to source a certain animal. I have nothing against people that choose to buy their tortoises, or other animals, from a pet store.

Emrys came from a pet shop. No local rescue centres had tortoises, and the are also no local and trustworthy breeders, so it was my best option. If someone lived in an area with tortoises available from other sources then I'd suggest they go there first, but the fact is that pet shop animals need 'rescuing' from their situations, too. Emrys was kept in less than adequate conditions. He was healthy enough, but I'm glad I got him out of there.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
mainey34 said:
I would not suggest anyone buy from a pet store. But i must add this is strictly my opinion. You dont know where they came from, how old they are. If they have problems. You get what? A 30 day guarantee...then they try to sell you things you dont need. Give you bad advise..nope...not for me...just my opinion...
Then my vote on the poll needs to be changed to no, please...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I voted yes, of course as I am a long time outspoken person on this subject. Buying from a pet store is just as valid a choice as any other. No matter where you get your tortoise, be it a pet store, a breeder, Craig's list, ect, you still never know how healthy the animal may be, how it has been kept or even it's past history as some breeders sell animals other then their own.

Some use the story of the pet store animal being wild caught and if you buy it you only encourage them to buy more. That may sometimes be true, but not always. I think your a bit of a hypcrite to think it's wrong to buy a captive animal, if you own a tortoise of any kind. The reason is, where did your tortoise come from or where did it's parents? Does the fact it's one or two generation removed from being a free animal really make that much difference? Then there is my major issue with this argument, is it fair to let this animal that is in the pet store sit there until it dies to make a point? Is the pet store animal's life any less important then any other tortoise's life? There is no guarantee that the sacrificial tortoise left in the pet store will indeed stop the wild tortoise harvest. Then if that harvested wild animal is not going to go to a pet store, will be going instead into the soup pot? How is that an advantage?

Then there is the story of "all pet store tortoises are sick and full of parasites", while for some this may be true, but not all. I have never bought a pet store tortoise that was sick nor full of parasites. I myself can not make this statement about dealers, breeders, nor Craig's list animals. I think no matter where you buy your animal from, it is a buyer beware market. Use your own common sense and actually look at the animal your buying. If you can not buy in person, require the seller to show you the picture of the actual animal you are buying.

Somebody commented on the fact a pet store may only give you a 30 day guarantee, that is better then just about any place I know of.

One of the main advantages I can see to buying from a pet store is you can check the animal over hands on and you can sit back and observe the animal without ever spending a dime. You can see how it is cared for and what it is being feed, not just have a seller telling you what you want to hear.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I live close to Cheryl and i agree a petshop is the only option near us..no breedere or rescues...

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It depends on the animal and the store. There are great stores and crappy stores. There are great breeders and crappy breeders.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Baoh said:
It depends on the animal and the store. There are great stores and crappy stores. There are great breeders and crappy breeders.

This sums up my opinion...I've heard of a lot of good pet stores, that I would gladly buy from. Any I've ever been to, I would NEVER, ever, buy a tortoise from. Because I don't want to encourage or support them, with the horrible information they spread...But I share the same opinion with WC animals. If we don't support it, it won't happen (as much). But sadly, people just don't get it...

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Although, I guess like Jacqui said, it needs to be added...They're life is still valuable. And if they are unproperly cared for, its likely they will die....The world is a sad place. These things happens, and there is little we can do about it....Anyone in the rescue business knows this. I can rescue every kitten I find in the street, but I can't stop the suffering. No one can...The world is twisted; this is just yet another illustration of it,...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RedfootsRule said:
I can rescue every kitten I find in the street, but I can't stop the suffering. No one can...

My thought is I can't rescue them all, but I can rescue the ones I can rescue. Ending their suffering may not be a cure, but it is atleast a starting point and something I, as a single person, can do. It's making a difference not just talking about making a difference in the lives of individual cats (and tortoises, too). I have always believed each life is important, each step no matter how small is important and if each one of us just took that one step no matter which belief or philosophy we think is right and believe in, then just think of all we could accomplish.... thus speaks the crazy cat lady. :D

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Jacqui said:
RedfootsRule said:
I can rescue every kitten I find in the street, but I can't stop the suffering. No one can...

My thought is I can't rescue them all, but I can rescue the ones I can rescue. Ending their suffering may not be a cure, but it is atleast a starting point and something I, as a single person, can do. It's making a difference not just talking about making a difference in the lives of individual cats (and tortoises, too). I have always believed each life is important, each step no matter how small is important and if each one of us just took that one step no matter which belief or philosophy we think is right and believe in, then just think of all we could accomplish.... thus speaks the crazy cat lady. :D

I agree with this, and I agree we should not buy them....There will never be an answer to this question....Great things could happen if people worked together, in everything. But sadly, it will never happen....
And that individual cats thing sounded like an insult...:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, Peter...I've read and re-read the sentence about "individual cats," and I don't see an insult.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I didn't say I saw one either...I said it "sounded" like, or felt like, an insult....Didn't say it was. Does everyone here have to try to start an argument...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Short answer - no, but if you look at the start of the "argument" it was you, Peter.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
emysemys said:
Short answer - no, but if you look at the start of the "argument" it was you, Peter.

Please quote where for me. I was simply trying to ask Jacqui if I was misinterpreting her reply as an insult...I'm so sorry I can't even do that without you arguing with me. It wasn't a matter of concern for you or Laurie. It was a question from me to Jacqui. Whether you saw an insult or not was irrelevant; by stating your opinion, it was you who started this....Why couldn't you have just let one question of mine drop?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And neither Laurie nor I saw an insult. Why could you not have just let it drop right there? By continuing YOU are the one arguing. This is the last word on this subject. Any further on this will be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.