Should Mazuri be put in the fridge or freezer for storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, California
Hey TFO Fam!!!

Ok.....so I store my Mazuri in a large ziplock bag at room temperature next to where I keep my Ca and Vit. Is this wrong? I have saw in other threads that ppl put there Mazuri in the fridge or freezer then thaw it out with warm water before feeding it to their Torts. I just take it out the bag, let it soak for 15 mins in warm water then feed it to my Greek twice a week. I dnt want my 1lbs bag of Mazuri to go bad because I'm not storing it right. :(

Tell me what's up y'all! Thanks!:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I keep mine in a ziplock bag above in my cupboard, it has been there for like 6 months so far, without any bad things, like mold and such.

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
dmmj said:
I keep mine in a ziplock bag above in my cupboard, it has been there for like 6 months so far, without any bad things, like mold and such.

Ok, cool! Thanks cause I was in a panic. In my mind I had a feeling you didn't have to put it in the fridge, but I had to double check this cause I would hate to throw food away.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i keep what I am going to feed dry and cool. some people keep for long term storage in a freezer in zip lock bags. it lasts for a long time when frozen.

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
spikethebest said:
i keep what I am going to feed dry and cool. some people keep for long term storage in a freezer in zip lock bags. it lasts for a long time when frozen.

Oh ok! So the 1lbs I got from you can just be stored they way I got it, but if I had a lot more I could freeze it. Good to know! Thanks Cory! :D

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i would put it in a mason jar or a freezer bag to keep bugs and air and moisture from getting to it. but you are most welcome!!!

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
spikethebest said:
i would put it in a mason jar or a freezer bag to keep bugs and air and moisture from getting to it. but you are most welcome!!!

Yea, that's what I have it in.....the big ziplock freezer bag (sorry I just said ziplock:p). I make sure all the air is out before I seal it back close. I havnt seen a drop of moisture at all!:D

HarleyK

5 Year Member
When you guys are dipping it in warm water....that's purified water right? Not from the tap or is tap ok?

franeich

5 Year Member
I keep mine in the freezer then just take out what I need. Spike sold me a big zoplock bag for really cheap and I only use like 8 pieces a week for my little sulcata.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I use tap water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use room temp tap and its mushy after 1 or 2 minutes.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
tepid water for about 5mins for me. I store it in a Tupperware container (air tight and non toxic) and place that in a freezer for storage.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
franeich said:
I keep mine in the freezer then just take out what I need. Spike sold me a big zoplock bag for really cheap and I only use like 8 pieces a week for my little sulcata.

wow that food sure is lasting you a really long time. glad things are still doing well! :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The official company stance is that the big bags are good for 270 days from manufacture, and small bags have 'use by' dates. It should be kept in a cool, dry place (fridges are actually quite humid).

They have an interesting video with Cherryheads at https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=1

Status
Not open for further replies.