HELP-FRIG/FREEZER DIED-MAZURI GOOD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Way back in the spring I bought a 25 pound bad of Mazuri, cheap. I put most of it in gallon size freezer bags and in the freezer. I have 5 bags that were in the freezer and the freezer/frig died yesterday. Do you think the Mazuri would be okay to freeze again when the new frig comes on Monday or do you think I just need to let it sit out and not freeze again?
Thanks

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I bought a 2 pound bag of Mazuri from someone on here that I've kept in the fridge, because I'm afraid if I freeze it moisture/ice crystals will form as yag said.

I know nothing about the shelf life of the stuff. I imagine it will stay good for a long time as long as it stays dry so no mold/bacteria will grow in it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks everyone. The new frig comes today, ya. The bags of Mazuri does not and hasn't had any condensation, so far so good.
Tortus, I have not had any problems keeping it in the freezer. It thaws out with no problems. My only concern now was the fact I need to re-freeze it. I only have one six inch leopard and he doesn't get a lot of it. So will be lasting me quite some time.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I imagine 25 pounds will last you years with a single juvenile leopard. LOL

My leo is around 3" now and it's still on the first 1 pound bag I bought from Amazon. It's not even half empty. I put the 2 pound bag in the fridge, but if you say freezing works I'll probably put it in there because I won't be getting to it for a while. I only give mine 2 pieces of Mazuri per day.

BTW wellington, I see you on here a lot but I don't think I've ever seen pics of your little guy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, freezing works good, thankfully. I will be having it a long time LOL. I don't post pics much. I am on an iPad and until recently, I have not been able to post from it. I now have an app that will let me, however, it stopped working for me the other day:( Still trying to figure out what went wrong. Will be posting soon if I can figure it out:D

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I have never froze my mazuri, always as fresh as the day i get it, last little but i just used up was little less than a year old, and it was just as fresh the the new that just came in the mail, Too much other stuff to put in the fridge/freezer to have bags n bags of mazuri in their!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
SulcataSquirt said:
I have never froze my mazuri, always as fresh as the day i get it, last little but i just used up was little less than a year old, and it was just as fresh the the new that just came in the mail, Too much other stuff to put in the fridge/freezer to have bags n bags of mazuri in their!

I bet if your were eating it, you wouldn't think it was that fresh. If it takes that long to use it, I would either buy less, or freeze it. Even dog food can't last that long with out loosing nutrition values, etc. Once, back when I was breeding dogs and buying 4-5 bags at a time, I had a bag, completely sealed from what i could tell, get tiny moths flying out if it. Unless its a sealed bag, I'm sure it's not as good as the day you opened it. Might look like it, but I would get its not.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I once had an unopened bag of pistachios in the cupboard for a couple months. When I finally remembered they were there and opened them up, they had little fuzzy white worms in them. I found out when one I ate tasted like dirt. :(

Yeah, I think freezing a large amount of mazuri might be best. I stuck mine in there last night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortus said:
I once had an unopened bag of pistachios in the cupboard for a couple months. When I finally remembered they were there and opened them up, they had little fuzzy white worms in them. I found out when one I ate tasted like dirt. :(

Yeah, I think freezing a large amount of mazuri might be best. I stuck mine in there last night.

YUCK:(

Status
Not open for further replies.