Should I?

drowningindemons

Location (City and/or State)
Lake worth florida, in Home land
I have a tiny tortiouse and we live in florida. So its always hot outside. I wanted to make him an outdoor inclosure but its always too hot and sticky outside. In my house I have 2 dogs and a cat. They dont bother him that much but i was worried of wether or not i should make him a new inclosure. His current tank (in my opinion) is really small. It was SUPER EXPENSIVE though :C so my parents wont let me get a new one. I want whats best for him. Should i make him an indoor one? im not sure where i could put it, maybe in my room? i dont know. I have chicken wire idk what i could do with that. He doesnt do much so i dont even know if he minds the small room. He seems kind of lonley because he used to be with other tortiouses years ago and seince then hes looked sad. (not moving as much and sleeping a lot) Welp, thats what i have to say? Can you help? Love-drowningindemons

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've not given us enough information to help you.

What kind of tortoise is it?

How old/big is it?

If he's big enough, he belongs outside. Tortoises are wild animals, not domesticated, and they do much better outside.

If the tortoise is new to you, he's going to hide until he feels safe.

Doesn't matter if he came from a place that had many tortoises together. Tortoises are not lonely when they are by themselves. They don't want or need companionship. They will fight to chase off an intruder tortoise in their territory.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Probably wouldn't be too hot, but you need to place the enclosure in a well planted area. They come from South America, not the deep jungle, but towards the edge of the jungle where there are lots of plants to hide in to get out of the sun. And plenty of water/humidity/moisture.

drowningindemons

drowningindemons

You've not given us enough information to help you.

What kind of tortoise is it?

How old/big is it?

If he's big enough, he belongs outside. Tortoises are wild animals, not domesticated, and they do much better outside.

If the tortoise is new to you, he's going to hide until he feels safe.

Doesn't matter if he came from a place that had many tortoises together. Tortoises are not lonely when they are by themselves. They don't want or need companionship. They will fight to chase off an intruder tortoise in their territory.

Hes a redfooted tortiouse
Um im not sure how old but i posted a picture? will that help?
Hes not shy to me hes just shy in general i got him about a year ago i belive
sorry im trying my best

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Have a look at the redfoots section under South American tortoises for lots of useful information and advice from redfoot keepers.