Constipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I mentioned this in a recent thread I made but still it's going on.
Usually when I take Sheldon outside he poops. I haven't seen or smelled poop in his indoor habitat in a few weeks [usually even if he eats it I smell it, he's in my room with me :p ] I know that still he might be eating it but it's odd that out of all of the times he's gone outside he hasn't pooped once. He always poops when I take him out also when I take him out I sit and watch so I would know if he ate it.

Today, a couple of times I saw him struggling to squeeze one out but nothing happened. I felt so bad. I've been giving him daily soaks but they don't seem to be helping. I haven't changed his diet aside from upping the fiber but that doesn't seem to be helping much either. He is still eating though. I was wondering if there is anything else I could do?

Nerdling

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton
How humid is his enclosure? Does he have access to fresh water?

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
He always has fresh water. I've seen him drinking lately too. Humidity is something I've always struggled with the last almost three years that I've had him. (posted tons about that over the last few years) But he was always fine. I have been changing his water more often to keep up the humidity.

Edited to add the humidity is at 70% right now.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I'm surprised nobody has any insight. Is this uncommon? Should I take him to the vet? He didn't eat much today. I don't want to ignore it.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Mine has this problem every once in a while and I use Mineral Oil on some Mazuri or banana and it seems to help. I also soak 2x a day for about 20 minutes during these times. How bad does the poop small? It shouldn't stink up your room. If it's bad, it could be parasites. Both of mine just went through this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have you tried giving him his soaks in the tub? The room a tub gives for them to move around sometimes will help get things moving. Make a warm tub soak and let him stay there for an hour. Just make sure the water stays warm. You can do that by hanging a mvb or CHE over the tub. Maybe try some mineral oil, then soak him in the tub afterwards. You can also grind up some pumpkin seeds, they help with worming if that happens to be part of the problem.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I have been doing the tub but it hasn't worked :(

Kathy, it doesn't smell bad-bad. It just smells like poo. I'm in a very small room and his tank is large so it's very close to me most of the time.

Thank you both so much, I was starting to get really worried that I ran out of options. I'm going to try mineral oil on banana. How much do I use? Would Olive Oil or Vegetable oil be okay? I already have both of those on hand so I figure I'd ask. If not, I'll just pick up some mineral oil. I'll grab some pumpkin seeds too just in case. I'm also going to continue with the tubs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have heard olive oil recommended before. I would use that before veggie oil. It's better anyway. Good luck. Hope things get moving. BTW, what kind of substrate are you using? And do you ever see him eat or nibble on it?

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
Thank you. I'll try the Olive oil tomorrow morning.
I use Peat Moss with some Cypress mulch on top. I was using less cypress mulch since I could see it
getting into his food sometimes. But I put a bit more last time then what I usually put. But it still isn't a lot like an inch, it's just a thin layer. I do see him get it into his mouth but not actually eating it. I'm afraid if it's stuck in his stomach though :(

turtletania

5 Year Member
I have just been through this and I understand your concerns.
I would get your tort to a vet if you can. The vet had to basically give mine an "enema" to break up the blockage.

Do you have cuttlebone in with your tort? I would take it out for now at least.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
Aw, I'm sorry your tort needed an enema :(

I read this early this morning before rushing out and took the cuttlebone out. I also gave him a bit of olive oil in his food. I didn't think he'd like it but he actually ate all of it which is great because yesterday he barely touched his food. I found a couple of bits of poo when I came home so I am so glad about that. I'm going to continue the soaks and watching him and will probably call his vet tomorrow or the next day. I want to see if he poops anymore. I can't thank you guys enough for all of the help. I'll keep you updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.