Should I worry yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi
One of the 2 baby Hermanns I got on Friday doesn't seem very interested in eating. It did take a bite or 2 of a leaf tonight but generally speaking doesn't seem bothered.
When should I be concerned?
My other baby eats regularly and I'm not at all concerned with that one.
I am feeding cacti in thin slivers like the breeder did plus dandelion, clover, honeysuckle flower, red clover petals offered so far.

I know its early days but shouldn't they eat daily?
They have been soaked lots too.

Thanks

Louise

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
My understanding from other similar threads is that it is more usual, in fact quite common, for them to want to hide and not eat for 1-2 weeks. If he looks OK otherwise, clear eyes/nose, etc., then I believe you would continue the soaks, offer food, and otherwise make sure they are not bothered too much and feel secure.
Can't remember if you have posted pics of your enclosure, but that always helps, if needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Try separating them and see what happens. Move the good eater and leave the other one where he is. I'm no hermanni expert, but in other species pairs can be a problem sometimes. Most torts do better in groups or alone.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Normally I would say wait and see , but I agree with tom, I would see about separating them and see if that helps, could be bullying going on and you may not know it.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks
I have already separated them so I can see who is eating what etc. I am not leaving food in with them however as I want to observe them eating and get them used to eating when they get their food.

I don't think there is any bullying and their enclosure is so big, they barely see each other at the moment. I think this one is more inclines to just want to hide and I've seen both of them bury themselves completely in the shredded paper or peat moss. I guess this is normal for such tiny tortoises.

They are very small weighing 17g and 18g at the moment-I will of course monitor their weights.

Thanks and I will see how things go.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I noticed you said you do not leave the food in with them, maybe try? Our little greek won't eat in front of me either. He just sits infront of his dish and waits till I leave the room to eat his greens.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
SnakeyeZ said:
I noticed you said you do not leave the food in with them, maybe try? Our little greek won't eat in front of me either. He just sits infront of his dish and waits till I leave the room to eat his greens.

That is funny-you have a really shy guy/gal?
I will try that-hadn't thought of that , but I have tried hiding and keeping one eye on him/her-perhaps not good enough at hiding though:D
Thanks!
Happy Monday Rich:D:D

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
For what it's worth, I got my first Hermann's a couple weeks ago. He's not a baby (5 years old), and was captive bred. So I assume he was around humans a fair amount. But even so, he was extremely shy/scared around me, and he still won't eat in front of me. I know he's eating since I can spy on him through my living room window. :) He seems to be coming out of his shell, so to speak, the last few days, though. I wouldn't worry too much yet. :)

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
UPDATE!
That one Hermanns ate a small sow thistle leaf and a little piece of cacti so that is a relief. I keep soaking them and they seem content. Some of the time they walk around lots, really busy exploring and other times really sleepy and quiet.(like now-sleeping)

Thanks for the responses-its worrying until they get settled in.
I even find I can't dream of anything but torts right now-just subconsciously worrying too I guess.Tonight should be better for us all!!!:D:cool:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Tortoise said:
UPDATE!
That one Hermanns ate a small sow thistle leaf and a little piece of cacti so that is a relief. I keep soaking them and they seem content. Some of the time they walk around lots, really busy exploring and other times really sleepy and quiet.(like now-sleeping)

Thanks for the responses-its worrying until they get settled in.
I even find I can't dream of anything but torts right now-just subconsciously worrying too I guess.Tonight should be better for us all!!!:D:cool:

Amazing, isn't it? Sleep well!

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
To be safe you should get a Fecal Analysis done. Is he weak / low energy? Being so small he can go from bad to worse very quickly. Even if tests are negative it is a worry off the mind. Best of luck!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Zouave said:
To be safe you should get a Fecal Analysis done. Is he weak / low energy? Being so small he can go from bad to worse very quickly. Even if tests are negative it is a worry off the mind. Best of luck!

Hi
He or she is doing much better now-eaten cacti, sow thistle, plantain, dandelion and its drinking too.
-not as good an appetite as the other but way better. lots of energy etc.
I took a tortoise to my vet some years back to check on flagelettes .
Of course tortoises have them its just a case of whether they have too much. My vet detected them and then wondered how much was normal-I didn't know so it was inconclusive.
Its a worry here as most of the vets spend very little time studying tortoises so I end up consulting with someone that knows and going in to ask for the drug, tell them the dose and where to put it:rolleyes:

If anyone knows of other alternatives for us rural folk -please advise!!!!!

Thanks for your tip Zoave-wish I had a reptile vet somewhere within a few hours of here.My nearest best option is the vet school at saskatoon-5 hours each way!(and we have done that with an alpaca)same story-local vets not well informed on unusual animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.