No weight gain - Should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
My baby Eastern Hermanns eats a varied diet, drinks plenty of water, gets regular baths, is active, and poops well. I bought him in early December 2008, and he is STILL about 26g. Temps are right, food is right. Heating and UVB is right. He was at the vet a month ago, and tested negative for parasites. He was also on antibotics for 10 days.
I would think the volume of food he eats is ok, but have nothing to compare to. If it were not for the fact he does not gain weight, I would not be the least bit concerned.
Some say their baby torts are gaining 2g per week. Mine has not gained and maintained 2g's in 4 months.
In the next few weeks, he will be spending a lot more time outside, and I hope this helps. Should I be concerned? Is another vet visit in order?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I would be concerned. What are you using for a calcium supplement? If your feeding him once a day, I'd up that to twice a day. It also can't hurt to soak once a week in a liquid vitamin. I use Vitasol for birds by 8in1. I do this for the first year for all my hatchlings.

Danny

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
egyptiandan said:
I would be concerned. What are you using for a calcium supplement? If your feeding him once a day, I'd up that to twice a day. It also can't hurt to soak once a week in a liquid vitamin. I use Vitasol for birds by 8in1. I do this for the first year for all my hatchlings.

Danny

I am using Rep-Cal daily and twice weekly Herptivite. There is always food available. Is Vitasol available at a pet shop?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes you should be able to find Vitasol in your local petshop, if not you can order it on-line.
Have you watched how much your tortoise is eating?

Danny

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
egyptiandan said:
Yes you should be able to find Vitasol in your local petshop, if not you can order it on-line.
Have you watched how much your tortoise is eating?

Danny

I would have thought the volume of food he eats for such a little guy would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.