Should I get this tortoise or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBuddy

5 Year Member
I was offered this tortoise for about $100, he is 14 inches long but as you can see he is badly pyramided(spelling is horrible I know). I have the room to house him and I know how to do everything else, but m question is do you guys think that his nutrition has caused secondary effects or do you think I can get him up to health?

Attachments

• 44386_110791555645837_100001449799775_85044_2020171_n.jpg
    44386_110791555645837_100001449799775_85044_2020171_n.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 121

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
Welcome! I've seen much worse pyramiding. As long as you've done your research and know how big he's going to get, what his habitat needs to be like, and are ready for a long term commitment, I'd go for it. I would definitely ask lots of questions of the seller. Ask what his current set up is like, what he's currently being fed, and compare those answers with the knowledge you have and what others with much more experience here on this forum have said and you'll be fine. I adopted mine when he was 60 pounds and 6 years old. He's got some pyramiding, but I know he's in a much better environment now and I am completely in love with him.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Hello and welcome to the forum. He looks like he could use a new home with someone that will go the extra mile. I rescued Lana and she is doing great even with MBD. Everyone on the forum is great and can give you good advise to help turn him around if you decide to go for it.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Welcome to the forum and here's the link to the ONLY thread you'll ever need (just kidding! But it is the best!) The pyramiding is uniform and not grossly exaggerated...as long as he move wells and is eating...go for it! Realize that he will likely double in length and weigh over 100 pounds (and outlive you)!

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
He's cute I would get him if you have the room. I'm agreeing with the others it's not that bad. Let us know. :D

MyBuddy

5 Year Member
Currently he is kept inside, with the exception of some grazing time outside everyday. At night they put him in a pond liner with a heat bulb. The only thing he eats is the grass. I live in Maryland where it gets very cold duringthe winter, what do you guys suggest feeding him in the winter time? Sorry so many questions, I have done a lot of research and I can house him and stuff but I am very new to this (other than the tortoises at the pet store I worked at I have never really done the whole tortoise thing)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I feed dry hay in the winter. I also started growing weeds (plantains) in pots for the winter. I have frozen summer squash and plan to freeze pumpkin and cactus also. I have just started feeding Mazuri and they love it and it will be an adition to winter feeding. I also buy organic greens from the grocery for winter. A large Sulcata eats a lot so be prepared.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Not all eat hay.. so it can get very expensive to feed one let alone house and keep warm in the winter..
I didnt pay for any of mine. all rescues. So the paying for one is up to you..
why are they getting rid of it? TOo hard to house and winter is coming?

MyBuddy

5 Year Member
Laura said:
Not all eat hay.. so it can get very expensive to feed one let alone house and keep warm in the winter..
I didnt pay for any of mine. all rescues. So the paying for one is up to you..
why are they getting rid of it? TOo hard to house and winter is coming?

I think that is the exact reason they are getting rid of it. How would you guys house it when it gets really cold out? I have a room in my house that doesnt have anything in it and I was thinking of using that. I heard that they will knock over drywall (like reagular walls)
though, is that true?

Kemperly_Williams

5 Year Member
I can't offer any advice but if you guys think sulcatas are gonna get big, my friend just brough home a rescue Galapogas tortie thats over 350 lbs! the kids ride on him ... lol Kemp

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Kemperly_Williams said:
I can't offer any advice but if you guys think sulcatas are gonna get big, my friend just brough home a rescue Galapogas tortie thats over 350 lbs! the kids ride on him ... lol Kemp

pictures please!:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kemperly_Williams said:

I was under the impresson that kids riding on a tortoise, was bad for the animal. I would like to know WHERE there would ever be a Galap put into a rescue.

MyBuddy said:
I was offered this tortoise for about $100, he is 14 inches long but as you can see he is badly pyramided(spelling is horrible I know). I have the room to house him and I know how to do everything else, but m question is do you guys think that his nutrition has caused secondary effects or do you think I can get him up to health?

I think you would make a very good caretaker for this tortoise. As to if there are secondary problems, only time will tell. I have a feeling he will be fine.

M

Maggie Cummings

I keep my 80 pound Sulcata (Bob) in a 12X20 ft shed. It's lined with that fluffy pink insulation and covered over with plywood walls. He has a DeLonghi oil filled heater, but the shed is so well insulated I don't turn the heater on. He has a doggie door that opens into his pen and I open that every morning and leave it up to him to decide if he wants to go out or not. It was a hassle keeping him for a while but then I got an escape proof fence and insulated the shed and now he's a dream to keep. He's really an easy keeper now and he's fun to take around to school or to the pet shops. He gets his picture taken with Santa every year and that is really fun.
If you can keep your guy safely and easily you would so love to have him. Bob is really fun to have and I look forward to our bonding time in the evening. I'd get that guy if I were you then get him set up right and you will see just how much fun they can be. He is not pyramided enough to have any internal damage IMHO

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I wouldnt pay that much for him..
read the sulcata section here..
a room in your house might work whiel its still small, but I wouldnt keep my big guys in the house..
if you have a big yard, which you will need.. then build a heated shed and shelter.. not cheap tho..

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
MyBuddy- please don't ever apologize for asking questions! You're doing the absolute right thing by learning all you can and getting prepared first. :) The people here are awesome when it comes to knowledge and experience. Mine loves Mazuri- you can search for it in the threads either by Mazuri or by looking for the username "Spikethebest". I bought mine from him and got a super deal. I also feed mine one shredded carrot each week and a couple of Opuntia cactus pads each week. When they warm up to you and get used to their surroundings, oh my goodness- they are so fun! I love to watch mine just about come running when he sees me (food goddess response-but I don't really care). Sulcatas are completely amazing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.