how hard should a shell be at 3.5 inches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Fl
i knowthat nobody can give me a definite answer but im looking for some insight. ive had mordy for 2 months now, the owner said he was 4 months, which makes him 6 months though i doubt it cuz hes really little , about 3.5 inches. he had a bad experience with a vet which caused him to get a relapse of his URI as well as a huge decrease in appetite- some may remember this. he developed a soft shell consequently. i nursed him back to health and he eats like crazy, so that scare is over. his shell hardened up a bit but its not that hard, really. on the sides it gives a little, but he is just a little guy. im wondering how hard d o you think it ought to be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should be kind of like the hard plastic on the bottom of a butter tub at that size. Some give, but not a lot.

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
Tom said:
Should be kind of like the hard plastic on the bottom of a butter tub at that size. Some give, but not a lot.

Oh, that's about how hard it is on the sides.the too of top shell is firm.thanks! If he's eating well and being active, do you think i should still call the vet?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well do you like your vet? Just want to have a conversation? :)

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
Tom said:
Well do you like your vet? Just want to have a conversation? :)

She's okay lol. Just don't know ifhis shell should be harder by now.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
at the moment it sounds like your Tort is healthy... Vet checks are great to know if there is a high worm count to avoid well worms and other complications, pin worms in a higher count cause constipation... And some 'not' all soften a tad as New Growth is seen in their little shells. Some harden with growth, its iffy....

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
tyrs4u said:
at the moment it sounds like your Tort is healthy... Vet checks are great to know if there is a high worm count to avoid well worms and other complications, pin worms in a higher count cause constipation... And some 'not' all soften a tad as New Growth is seen in their little shells. Some harden with growth, its iffy....

Well, he has grown-his growth lines have disappeared so i'm thinking he's gotten bigger. And he's not constipated, he poops every night if not more.but the soft sides is bothersome to me, though he seems healthy.i guys well see...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have you been weighing him since you got him? What does he weigh now vs. when you got him?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
There is no real rate at which a shell should harden, The only thing you have to worry about with shells, is if they suddenly go soft, then you have a problem. As long as he is eating and growing, and not going soft, then relax and let nature take it's course. Remember a healthy tortoise should be hydrated get calcium and lots of sunshine (as much as possible), to grow big and strong.

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
Tom said:
Have you been weighing him since you got him? What does he weigh now vs. when you got him?

He weighed 40 grams when i got him, and i weighed him today and he's60 grams! I'm Judy hoping he's fine, wee had a scare with the little guy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
20 grams is not much in two months. I have a bunch right now that are 60-75 grams at four weeks old. Something is definitely not right, but I don't know what advice to give you. Seems like you are doing all the right stuff, and this is a residual effect from what went on before. It is my best guess that he will continue to do okay and get better, based on what you've told us so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.