Should I get a second tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseGurl

5 Year Member
:tort:

Hey, so I have a four year old Marginated Tortoise - Girl.
I've been thinking of getting a second tortoise for a long time now. Mainly because I am ready to take on a new pet, and also because I want my tortoise to have some kind of company, instead of living on its own for the rest of her life.

Is it a good idea to get another tortoise? What do you think?

I was thinking of getting a male, so when they grow up they can breed?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I would first stop and ask myself a few questions. Do I have room for a large enough enclosure for three tortoises? Yes, three because that would really be the more ideal situation you would be looking towards. Do I have room to keep two separate enclosures? Two of them because first you have to go through quarantine each time you add in a new animal. Second just in case the couple or trio fails to work out. What if you end up with two males, which could happen as your talking about a young animal. Would you still keep them both? Do you have the added time and money for the added cages, food, and possible vet expenses? Are you seriously wanting to breed, because if not your tortoise will more then likely at this stage not miss being by itself.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Get a second tortoise because you want one, not for company for another who most likely does not want or need company.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dmmj said:
Get a second tortoise because you want one, not for company for another who most likely does not want or need company.

:cool:

TortoiseGurl

5 Year Member
Come to think of it guys, I might aswell get a female tortoise - I heard they would be able to get along much easier and I wouldn't have to go through a billion tortoise babies when she grows up.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
females often fight, just not as much as males usually do.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Even 2 females won't necessarily get along. Torts are solitary in the wild and don't always share nicely.

They must be kept apart during a quarantine period and when introduced it is possible that the resident will object to the newcomer.

Your tort is young. Too young to be 100% certain she won't turn out to be a he. The newcomer could be sexed incorrectly too.

You should only get a second tort if you accept that keeping them separately may have to be a permanent arrangement.

M

Maggie Cummings

Tortoises look at other tortoises as competition for the food or the best corner to sleep in, or for mating, they don't look at another tort as a companion. So like David said, get another tort because you want one your resident tort doesn't want one.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.