Shell scraping- how much is too much?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Curtis moved outside full time about a month ago, and he’s been doing pretty well. However, while I was cleaning his shell to apply coconut oil, I noticed that under the dust from his shell being scraped, it appears that he scraped a scute down to show another “layer”(?). He doesn’t act any different when I touch or rub it, and it’s completely smooth.

The enclosure walls are mostly cinder blocks, so I did expect some rubbing. However, is this spot concerning, and if so, should I cover it with something?
IMG_3748.jpgIMG_3754.jpgIMG_3755.jpgIMG_3749.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would protect the cinderblock with a piece of plywood or rubber mat or something. That's exposed bone and blood. Eventually that spot of bone will die (no big deal) and the blood will dry up, leaving a little white spot in its place. But rather than worry about more extensive damage, you need to cover the cinderblock where he's rubbing his shell.

Have I said this before - that looks like a feminine face. I wonder if you have a girl there.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I would protect the cinderblock with a piece of plywood or rubber mat or something. That's exposed bone and blood. Eventually that spot of bone will die (no big deal) and the blood will dry up, leaving a little white spot in its place. But rather than worry about more extensive damage, you need to cover the cinderblock where he's rubbing his shell.

Have I said this before - that looks like a feminine face. I wonder if you have a girl there.

Thanks, I’ll be sure to do that. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s actually a she, but until he’s 15-16 inches, I’ll just stick with “he” for now ;)
Haven’t been flashed either, so figured it might be foreshadowing a pronoun change lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Yvonne. Line the area of the wall that gets rubbed with some plywood. If you cut a 4x8' sheet of plywood into 12 inch by 8 foot sections, you can cover 32 near feet of your walls. 11/32" plywood is about $13 a sheet at Home Depot. Home Depot will cut the plywood for you upon request.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
If it did dry out you can always use the outdoor liquid nails. Just make sure that you press it once then pull it back then repress it down. It maximizes the grip on both surfaces