Is my tort soaking itself too much?

krh11b23

5 Year Member
So my tort soaks in his dish for hours a day I have his soaking dish under a heat lamp and he loves it it's like a sauna. My question is can be soak too much and get shell rot? He's literally in there for hours everyday. He's really growing since I put his soak dish there he has grown about 100 grams in 3 months.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have the dish right under the basking light, then he has no choice to soak as he wants to bask. Put the dish off to the side a little so he can bask without having to sit in the water. That said, not likely would it harm him. They are not prone to shell rot like a few other species.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
He has 2 basking lights and actually he used to bask under the other light that is closer to his hide. Soon as I put the soak dish under the second light he now uses it.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1396478611.388810.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Ya lol I guess so the thing is he never used the second light until I installed the sauna. It's nice because I no longer have to soak him myself lol.

abclements

5 Year Member
I agree with Barb. Let him decide for now, but if he starts showing signs of shell rot, move it out from under the light

mikeh

5 Year Member
He prefers the basking light with the water dish because the water is warm, helping further with keeping his core at higher temps.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
When my sulcata was a baby he did the same thing. He would be In the dish soaking and basking for what seemed like hours every day. Plus, I soaked him daily. Never a sign of shell problems.