Shell bump/dent

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
Juju is 3 1/2 months old, weighs 146 grams, and is 3.5". He is perfectly smooth, as I have been following Tom's advice on feeding and housing. The very back scute, however, has what looks like an indention at the top, and appears to have a bump at the bottom. He has not been injured. He eats and poops like a small horse, and is growing nicely other than this. Is this something I should be concerned about? It is hard to tell from the picture, but hopefully you can see what I am referring to in his shell.

Attachments

• CIMG2395.JPG
    CIMG2395.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 211
  • CIMG2397.JPG
    CIMG2397.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 186

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
jacktaylor900 said:
Hey, don't worry this always happens its caused by being in water too much.

Am I over-soaking him?! Will it even out eventually? Maybe I'm soaking him in too high a water level? Thank you!!

jacktaylor900

5 Year Member
Yes it will eventually go away and no that's a sign of a healthy well hydrated turtle. :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't know if that lump has anything to do with being in water too much. Sullies sometimes will have slight pyramiding and will develop that small lump in the back. No matter how careful we are to raise smooth sulcatas, sometimes they'll develop very slight pyramiding anyway. It's nothing to worry about. As he grows, it will even out over the years.

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
sibi said:
I don't know if that lump has anything to do with being in water too much. Sullies sometimes will have slight pyramiding and will develop that small lump in the back. No matter how careful we are to raise smooth sulcatas, sometimes they'll develop very slight pyramiding anyway. It's nothing to worry about. As he grows, it will even out over the years.

I'm pretty sure it isn't pyramiding, as I have seen several pictures, and this looks nothing like it. Not sure why it would only show up in that spot? He is eating everything right, in high humidity, and kept cozy warm with proper lighting. Hopefully it's not something I'm doing...

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Regardless of the exact reason for it it's definitely totally normal

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Exactly! My tortoises has it as well. I first thought it was part of their genetic makeup since they are siblings. Then, I've seen other torts with varying degrees of this bump. It's a normal trait in many sullies.

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Thanks, for the replies, guys. So will he always have it? Will it get better (less noticeable) or worse (more noticeable)? Assuming there's not much I can do about it, right?

Jesse977

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
My tort has the same little dent. I read its a trait that some sullys have. It will go away in time. Its nothing to worry about.

TomAlicia

5 Year Member
Wowwww my sully will be a year in January and is only 130g! What and how much do you feed yours? Is he mostly inside or outside? (Newbie)

2 Sulcatas
1 African gray
2 yellow Naples
1 snowshoe cat
1 chihuahua

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
TomAlicia said:
Wowwww my sully will be a year in January and is only 130g! What and how much do you feed yours? Is he mostly inside or outside? (Newbie)

2 Sulcatas
1 African gray
2 yellow Naples
1 snowshoe cat
1 chihuahua

I feed him spring mix, and mazuri mixed with chopped grasses from my yard. I keep him humid and warm, and use the mercury vapor light inside during the day, and CHE at night. I take him outside so he can exercise, but he is inside all the time right now (and will be until he gets too big!). He is super active and eats and poops a ton! He was 2" and 40 grams when I got him mid-July.

Attachments

• juju eating.jpg
    juju eating.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 45

TomAlicia

5 Year Member
Sooooooooo cute!!!!!! Thank you for sharing...I hope his bump goes away...I recently started misting and soaking more...(we have a little pyramiding) ImageUploadedByTortForum1379648629.109688.jpgheres my two earlier this year...Achilles and Maximus... Do you do calcium powder?

2 Sulcatas
1 African gray
2 yellow Naples
1 snowshoe cat
1 chihuahua

Do you know how much they should be weighing for a tort my age...(lol sounds funny)

2 Sulcatas
1 African gray
2 yellow Naples
1 snowshoe cat
1 chihuahua

Last edited by a moderator:

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Thanks! I think yours look great! I love their contrasting colors, and on that green grass - Awesome!! Love the names too. I don't do calcium powder, but I do have a cuttle bone in with him, and he chomps on it a bit. I also soak him 30 minutes every single day. (sometimes twice a day, because he likes it!) Just make sure the water stays warm. I typically dump it out and refill about halfway through his soak. Of course that's usually when he poops, so he gets fresh warm water for his second half too!

From what I have read, they are all different as far as growth rates. If they are outside (when young), growth might be slower, especially if they don't stay warm enough...

TomAlicia

5 Year Member
I will try the regimen!!! Achilles usually goes poo in the drinking water... =/ lol but the worst part is they are inside torts...I put they're food in... They eat what they want and walk all over the rest until its so flat! So I make new food and its repeated...o_O

2 Sulcatas
1 African gray
2 yellow Naples
1 snowshoe cat
1 chihuahua

Thank you!! =)

2 Sulcatas
1 African gray
2 yellow Naples
1 snowshoe cat
1 chihuahua

Status