Shell Rot

robc13

Location (City and/or State)
florida
Hello all. We recently got a new Redfoot. It appears it has shell rot. I just treated it with iodine, then wiped it off. I then applied some antifungal cream. I cleaned the enclosure and I am getting ready to put new substrate. My question is the new tortoise is in the same enclosure with another one. Should I separate them so the other one does not get it as well? I'm just worried that if I have to separate them that I don't have proper lighting for the other.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
If it truly has shell rot, then you will definitely want to separate them. Shell rot is highly contagious.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Amy new tortoise should be kept entirely separately, in quarantine, for at least 6 months regardless of it s perceived state of health. This is to ensure that neither tortoise makes the other sick.

On top of this, pairs of tortoises of any species rarely work. Red foorts are among the more tolerant, but they still do better in a very large enclosure in groups of 3 or more of a similar size with no more than one male to two or more females.

Tortoises aren’t social, They don’t need or want company. Keep them separately.