Shell problems

OR*Tort*lover

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hi everyone,

I just brought home my Russian tort last week. I was wondering if you more knowledgeable people could give me advice on his shell. I just gave him a good once over and I feel like his ventral side looks horrible.

20191001_160716.jpg 20191001_160827.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He looks very dry and either has healed puncture holes from a dog. Or some other healed damage.
Hopefully a member with RT experience will come along soon.
It's very common for Russian tortoises to have scars and such.
They're very active and very scrappy.

OR*Tort*lover

Oregon
He looks very dry and either has healed puncture holes from a dog. Or some other healed damage.
Hopefully a member with RT experience will come along soon.
It's very common for Russian tortoises to have scars and such.
They're very active and very scrappy.
I was part of his care before he came to live with me and he was kept in an open top on dry substrate so that's not surprising. I'm trying to change that for him. I've still got alot to learn but I'm hoping that I can make the rest of his life as happy, healthy, and comfortable as possible.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was part of his care before he came to live with me and he was kept in an open top on dry substrate so that's not surprising. I'm trying to change that for him. I've still got alot to learn but I'm hoping that I can make the rest of his life as happy, healthy, and comfortable as possible.
With this forum, you and he will be just fine

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Yep he needs a good soaking and maybe a little rub down of the coconut oil that is solid

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would worry more about that overgrown beak than the shell. His plastron looks like it might have had some shell rot at one time or another, but I think it's gone now. (but hard to really tell from a picture) Take a tooth brush and scrub the shell clean then take another picture and show us.

OR*Tort*lover

Oregon
I would worry more about that overgrown beak than the shell. His plastron looks like it might have had some shell rot at one time or another, but I think it's gone now. (but hard to really tell from a picture) Take a tooth brush and scrub the shell clean then take another picture and show us.
So that is something I can help with. I have experience with bird beaks but I've never done a tortoise. The only thing I worry about and the reason his beak is overgrown I guess, is that I don't really know how a healthy beak should look like, so I'm not sure how much to trim back.

ETA. I'll soak him and scrub him later today and post another pic then.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Amazing-Animals-13916_r1usxp.jpg

testudo-hermanni-beak-picture-id522044810

Just clip tiny pieces off all the way around. Don't try to take a bit bite all at once, just tiny bits. The top overlaps the bottom just a very tiny bit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Feeding the tortoise foods he has to bite off, not cut up foods, helps to keep the beak trimmed.

OR*Tort*lover

Oregon
Post spa treatment. Pooped in his bath. Hated the shell scrub and polish. Did better than expected with the beak trim. Hated when I tried to file it smooth though.

Lmk how the beak length looks. I was at the point where I was scared to take more so I stopped.
20191002_163742.jpg 20191002_163747.jpg 20191002_163802.jpg 20191002_163813.jpg 20191002_163818.jpg 20191002_163828.jpg 20191002_163832.jpg 20191002_163836.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That beak looks much better, but you can still take off more. The plastron shows signs of previous shell rot. Little Russian tortoises are gathered up by the hundreds and piled into small boxes or enclosures where they poop and pee on each other, and sit in that waste day and night, while awaiting to be shipped to another country for selling. Then they go to a dealer where conditions are not much better. So by the time the pet store gets them, they have shell rot and dinged up shells. Your little tortoise's plastron looks pretty good. You an see all new keratin growing in those ragged spots. He looks great after his spa treatment!