shell moisture-help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi
I realise that humidity plays a major part in smooth shell development over the first few years.
I have to wonder if moisturising the shell would help?
Years ago in the UK people used to oil the shells of pet tortoises as they looked so nice afterwards.

I think more recently that died out as such.

But like our skin-wouldn't something on the shell such as a safe natural oil etc help keep the shell hydrated?

I can't see it really doing any harm

What are your thoughts-anyone tried this?

We are in a dry climate so the humidity issue is always here.

Thanks in advance

Louise

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
There is much debate on this topic. I personally would not put anything on my torts. There is a thread on this if you type it into the search.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Missy said:
There is much debate on this topic. I personally would not put anything on my torts. There is a thread on this if you type it into the search.

Thanks Missy I'll so a search
Louise:tort:

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Some believe the shell is porous... I'm not one of them. The shell is like a big fingernail. Where the actual growth takes place... that's kind of different.

An oil based moisturizer... I wouldn't use. A water based moisturizer... It couldn't hurt.

Tortoise said:
Hi
I realise that humidity plays a major part in smooth shell development over the first few years.
I have to wonder if moisturising the shell would help?
Years ago in the UK people used to oil the shells of pet tortoises as they looked so nice afterwards.

I think more recently that died out as such.

But like our skin-wouldn't something on the shell such as a safe natural oil etc help keep the shell hydrated?

I can't see it really doing any harm

What are your thoughts-anyone tried this?

We are in a dry climate so the humidity issue is always here.

Thanks in advance

Louise

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The goal of a shell moisturizer would have to be to prevent moisture loss in a habitat that does not have adequate humidity. If adequate humidity is provided, there is no benefit to the moisturizer.

When used on human skin, lotions, oils, and cremes do not actually moisturize or feed the skin- they prevent evaporation of moisture in the tissues. A tortoise's shell is impermeable (as EJ mentioned)- that is, water does not pass from inside the tortoise to the outside or vice versa through the shell, but there are some layers of tissues on the shell that can absorb and hold water.

So- soak the tortoise well for a while to supercharge the cells, then apply a thin layer of anything safe enough for a baby's skin. IN THEORY, this will help with smoother shell growth BUT there are many other factors involved as well- calcium levels, UVB/vitamin D, iron, exercise, etc.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
there is a thread on someone using vita shell, personally I think it is a no harm no foul type of thing, but I am awaiting the results to see if I am proven wrong.

River14

5 Year Member
Has anyone seen an electron microscope close up of a tortoise shell? Would be interesting

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I asked a friend to get me some photos but it would be expensive. I'll do it one day but I expect it would look similar to a horses hoof...

River14 said:
Has anyone seen an electron microscope close up of a tortoise shell? Would be interesting

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks for that thread link-I never knew there was a vitashell product out there so never would have found that thread through searching.

Not sure what to think of the shell moisture thing-if the shells were perfect without for us all consistently I guess we wouldn't be looking for some alternatives. It helps to live in a higher humidity area in the first place I assume.

We still have a lot to learn I think so trying out new ideas is interesting to me as long as they are safe of course.

Thanks for the input everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.