Oiling Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sardinecan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Just a brief introduction. I've got 4 radiateds, 2 leopards & 2 indian star. They are kept in separate enclosures.

I've heard of people applying olive oil or baby on on the shell of their tortoises to keep it shiny & prevent cracking. Any harm to doing that? Hope that someone can shed some light on this. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
One reason to NOT apply lotions or oils is because it causes dirt and dust to adhere to the shell, which in turn might cause the tortoise to overheat.

Yvonne

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
...ummm... It's a good idea for photo shots though, they'll look good... :D

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Use a old toothbrush and some warm water and scrub the shell gently. It gets very shiney and looks good for photo shots.

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
a guy i know uses corn oil and the shells look super cool, but i feel weird about the whole oil thing. i use a tooth brush to clean them by the way

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some people will tell you that the shell can't "breathe" if you plug up the pores with oils. I'm not so sure about that. I don't know how porous a shell is. We paint our fingernails. We apply hoof shine and conditioner to horses' hooves. But those items make up a very small portion of the body. I would not like to cover a whole tortoise's body with oils. They have lived for thousands of years without anyone applying oils to their shells to "make them look pretty." Just keep them clean with water and a soft bristle brush. They don't need oils to be healthy.

Yvonne

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
At bath time, I scrub them with a soft toothbrush in warm water mixed with a little of antibacterial hand soap. I think they love their bubble baths! :D

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I feel like a bad mom. I don't scrub em unless someone has been shipped and is a mess when I get them. Even then I give them a good rinse and let them be. They look pretty to me dirt and all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jlyoncc1 said:
I don't scrub em unless someone has been shipped and is a mess when I get them. Even then I give them a good rinse and let them be. They look pretty to me dirt and all.

AMEN!!

Yvonne

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Agreed ladies!!!

It amazes me the things that people do to their tortoises!

It's like.. I wonder how they would like to try to sleep standing in a cold coat closet with a 100 watt bulb on overhead! And they wonder why their redfoot never comes out of the corner...

Terry K

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yep, Yep, Yep, Dirt and all a tort is a lovely thing. Lightly scrub only with a soft brush if the tort is messy - poo covered, otherwise just rinse. I Never, ever, use any type of soap.

Sardinecan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies. I do agree that it looks good for photo shoots. Like bodybuilders who grease up before photo shoots.

I clean my torts shell with diluted betadine and a soft brush.

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
Crazy1 said:
Yep, Yep, Yep, Dirt and all a tort is a lovely thing. Lightly scrub only with a soft brush if the tort is messy - poo covered, otherwise just rinse. I Never, ever, use any type of soap.

That's the thing... they get poo on them almost everyday and it stinks, ew!!! :p I guess because I have too many in the pen... (sigh)... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.