Shell concern/question

TSchadel

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
irwin has been outside all summer. I noticed some scratching or scarring on his shell. Should I be concerned? Here's some pictures.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

TSchadel

Kansas
Here are some additional pictures. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
image.jpeg image.jpeg

TSchadel

Kansas
No, those don't look serious. I wouldn't worry about it. What's he scratching it on?[/QUOTE
Well he has the run of my backyard and there are lots of things he can be scratching it on so I'm not too sure. I have seen him try to wiggle in places he's way too big for and that could be a contributor. He has also dug a pretty deep burrow that has roots in it - because I guess I really didn't need my perineals there and ways! Lol

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks!!! I've been a little worried about it!

Personally, I believe if a tort lives outside, his/her owner has to expect something of the sort. Please take care of him. :D

I do NOT mean to hurt you, so please do not misunderstand me, alright?;)

TSchadel

Kansas
Oh - I've also discovered that he absolutely loves potato vine. I had plants some in one of my flower gardens and came out one day too empty vines. Little brat had eaten the leav s and left the stem and vines! Lol

TSchadel

Kansas
Personally, I believe if a tort lives outside, his/her owner has to expect something of the sort. Please take care of him. :D

I do NOT mean to hurt you, so please do not misunderstand me, alright?;)
Absolutely no misunderstanding here! Irwin will be coming in for the winter. I probably spend more time with Irwin than I did my husband! Lol! I try to be a responsible tort owner. Thanks!!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Oh - I've also discovered that he absolutely loves potato vine. I had plants some in one of my flower gardens and came out one day too empty vines. Little brat had eaten the leav s and left the stem and vines! Lol

Ha! It was very considerate of him to leave the stem and vines for you.

TSchadel

Kansas
Ha! It was very considerate of him to leave the stem and vines for you.
Yep! I'm in the process of potting all his favorite outside plants to brin in for the winter. Potato vines have been added to my list.

TSchadel

Kansas
Absolutely no misunderstanding here! Irwin will be coming in for the winter. I probably spend more time with Irwin than I did my husband! Lol! I try to be a responsible tort owner. Thanks!!
I also give him warm baths still. I have some organic virgin cocanut oil that I rub on his shell about 1 to 2 times per month.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I also give him warm baths still. I have some organic virgin cocanut oil that I rub on his shell about 1 to 2 times per month.
What's the weather like back there, these days? A heat wave has been our "GUEST" for about four days. Therefore I've been giving Oli THREE soaks a day!

TSchadel

Kansas
It's been super humid all summer! I can't remember a summer this wet and humid in a long time. It's gotten a little cooler this past week - lower 80s. But we've had so much rain that I haven't been too concerned for Irwin. He is absolutely going to hate to come in for the winter after having the whole backyard to roam. He has an inside habitat that I had made - pics on here of that, but it's 100x smaller than the backyard he is used to. I think I will make the hubby bring him in so he won't get mad at ME! Lol

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It's been super humid all summer! I can't remember a summer this wet and humid in a long time. It's gotten a little cooler this past week - lower 80s. But we've had so much rain that I haven't been too concerned for Irwin. He is absolutely going to hate to come in for the winter after having the whole backyard to roam. He has an inside habitat that I had made - pics on here of that, but it's 100x smaller than the backyard he is used to. I think I will make the hubby bring him in so he won't get mad at ME! Lol

True: if a tort gets used to all that space outside, it'd be difficult to "imprison" hem/her inside.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
How old is Oli? Does he live outdoors too?
Sorry don't know how old Oli is: you cannot tell the age of a tort, unless it's hatched in front of you.

However, Oli is NOT a baby that I do know. Yes, I had an indoor enclosure made for him: here I had NO other choice as I live in a flat.

TSchadel

Kansas
True: if a tort gets used to all that space outside, it'd be difficult to "imprison" hem/her inside.
Yes I agree. But I think he's too young and small to be out in the winter too. When he's big enough - I will get an outside heated enclosure made. He is only 2 yrs and about 6.5 pounds.

TSchadel

Kansas
Sorry don't know how old Oli is: you cannot tell the age of a tort, unless it's hatched in front of you.

However, Oli is NOT a baby that I do know. Yes, I had an indoor enclosure made for him: here I had NO other choice as I live in a flat.
I see. I guesstimate Irwins age because I inherited from my daughter who left for college.... She got him Sept 2014 and was told by pet store that he was 8 weeks. I got Irwin in June 2015 when my daighter brought him to me in a 10 gallon tank. I did research and found this awesome forum and I think I've done pretty good for him. I just love the lil guy!!!