Shell Care

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
We brought home a male Russian tortoise to go with our beautiful female, Persephone! In our excitement we over looked some damage to his shell. Nothing major, small chips and shedding.

The only product we could find was called Vitashell. Is this ok? Are there better products or natural things we can do to help our little man (recently named Prometheus)! We have been putting this on all of our torts religiously, even our giant sulcata.

We are so thankful to have this forum. We have had to make many adjustments from food to enclosures for all of our fantastic tortoises. I believe the hardest part was the moment when we realized we have been so uneducated. The common pet stores are so far off on the care that it was really hard to wrap our mind around.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1397836025.862684.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1397836036.829243.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1397836047.689923.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1397836092.754109.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Some people really swear by the product (Vita Shell). In my opinion, topicals should not be used on tortoises' shells, but its really up to you. Please use caution, and polish off the excess with a soft, absorbent cloth. If you leave too much on the shell it attracts dirt. There might be a possibility of overheating with dirt on the shell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your little tortoise needs to be sprayed with warm water several times a day. I keep a spray bottle next to the habitat and give the baby a couple squirts every time I walk by.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
You can also try extra-virgin organic coconut oil. Quite a few members here use that too.