Shell Help/question

Herman Tortellini

Location (City and/or State)
Maine
We got this Hermann's Tortoise a week ago and would love some help in identifying what is going on with his shell. We notice a brown ring in each scute of the shell and also the chipping and white on the top scutes.

Is this from some trauma from before we got him? Can we do anything to help? Should we currently be concerned?

Just trying our best to care for this little guy and any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 317869614_677927847153203_543234254130840748_n.jpg
    317869614_677927847153203_543234254130840748_n.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You usually see this on sulcatas. If that were the case I'd say the new growth ( that's what that area is, new growth) has been burned because the light or heat is too close to his shell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We got this Hermann's Tortoise a week ago and would love some help in identifying what is going on with his shell. We notice a brown ring in each scute of the shell and also the chipping and white on the top scutes.

Is this from some trauma from before we got him? Can we do anything to help? Should we currently be concerned?

Just trying our best to care for this little guy and any help is greatly appreciated!
I agree with Yvonne's assessment. Most people don't house tortoises correctly. Something like this would happen if ambient temps in the enclosure were too cool, and the only place to get warm was under a heat lamp or CHE that was incorrectly set too close. At this point, there is nothing you can do about it except make sure the tortoise is being correctly housed and heated going forward.

Here is the correct care info for your species:

Questions are welcome.

Herman Tortellini

Maine
You usually see this on sulcatas. If that were the case I'd say the new growth ( that's what that area is, new growth) has been burned because the light or heat is too close to his shell.
Thank you for your help! Do you see any reason to be worried about the white parts on his shell? I appreciate your input and expertise.

Herman Tortellini

Maine
I agree with Yvonne's assessment. Most people don't house tortoises correctly. Something like this would happen if ambient temps in the enclosure were too cool, and the only place to get warm was under a heat lamp or CHE that was incorrectly set too close. At this point, there is nothing you can do about it except make sure the tortoise is being correctly housed and heated going forward.

Here is the correct care info for your species:

Questions are welcome.
Thank you so much for your help! We will give him the best life moving forward. I appreciate your expertise.

Would you be concerned at all about the white portions on his shell?