Sheeting OK to Line Indoor Wood Enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
We thought it'd be easier to get a liner for the inside our wooden indoor Russian enclosure to keep the substrate off the wood, instead of sealing the inside. Obviously, there's plenty of this stuff to use, my question is: Is it safe? I am sending an e-mail to the company to request an MSDS for the product, but I'm also curious as to whether anyone here has used it before or can suggest an alternative. We just found it at Lowe's yesterday so I'm sure we could return it if need be. Here's all the info:

Company: Blue Hawk

Product: Clear Transparent Heavy-Duty Plastic Sheeting

Thickness: 4 Mil, 102 micrometer

Size: 10 ft x 25 ft (250 sq ft) / 3,04 m x 7,62 m (23,2 sq m)

Item number: 0016905

Model number: RSBH410-25C

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use plastic sheeting all the time to line my tort tables. I has a bit of an odor, but I've never had tortoises react adversely to it. I use it so much that I buy it by the 50' roll.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Yvonne G said:
I use plastic sheeting all the time to line my tort tables. I has a bit of an odor, but I've never had tortoises react adversely to it. I use it so much that I buy it by the 50' roll.

Thanks!!! :cool: We already have to return to Lowe's for more wood to reinforce the legs of the tortoise table. Nothing is too good for my little dude!! :tort:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
There are some "potential health effects" on the MSDS. Does it still sound OK?

"It is unsuitable for use in applications such as direct or indirect food contact, toys, medical device or pharmaceutical applications or for potable water application."

Attachments

• Polyethylene Sheeting-Natural.pdf
    26.5 KB · Views: 21

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Pro and Con

Pro= is you can roll it up during final clean and throw everything away and start fresh when changing substrate.

Con= Be weary of the dead air space between the plastic sheeting and wood . Trapped moisture will lead to fungus and molds.

JD~:)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I use something similar and it is just fine. I pin it to the side walls because they love to dig out corners and if you do not, they can get under it. I also put plastic garden edging in the corners so they are rounded out and they can not climb out. The lining is simple really, you just do it like you are wrapping the inside of a huge present.
I have heard of people using those cheap shower curtain liners as well. They are like $4 at Wal-Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.