Indoor Plywood Enclosure

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't use that, at least not on the floor and if it's going to be high humidity.
I built a shed with that and it was fine except the floor. The pieces peeled off constantly and I even painted it. It probably would still last a long time, but not as long as I would need it most likely.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
This would work only if you sealed it with epoxy resin. Paints, even Rustoleum Countertop paint won't hold up to high moisture on wood.

The best thing to use is 1/2" PVC board, since it's impervious to humidity. The tough part can be finding it--it's not available in all areas of the country.

jharrris

Greenville
I wouldn't use that, at least not on the floor and if it's going to be high humidity.
I built a shed with that and it was fine except the floor. The pieces peeled off constantly and I even painted it. It probably would still last a long time, but not as long as I would need it most likely.
Got it, so a type of plywood that doesn't have that stuff on it would work?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Got it, so a type of plywood that doesn't have that stuff on it would work?
No. Wood is not a good material for indoor tortoise enclosure building. It rots under the humidity and moisture. Use expanded PVC sheets instead.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Plywood would have to be sealed to not rot. Marine paint, outdoor house paint, polyurethane all should be fine as long as you let it air out so the smell goes away.

wdbyrd

Buckeye, AZ
This would work only if you sealed it with epoxy resin. Paints, even Rustoleum Countertop paint won't hold up to high moisture on wood.

The best thing to use is 1/2" PVC board, since it's impervious to humidity. The tough part can be finding it--it's not available in all areas of the country.
Unfortunately that stuff is not available at hardware stores in the US anymore ( at least in arizona). You have to get it from a sign or plastics store and they charge like 2 or 3 times the normal price. I havn't been able to find a sheet of any thickness in a 4'x8' sheet less than $275.