Shady enclosure

Kidfunk83

Location (City and/or State)
Cambridge
That's exactly what I was thinking. I thought I could cut a section in the short side of the base big enough to fit the entrance of the coldframe. Then I could prop it up on bricks, leaving a gap so that Pip can come and go as she pleases, if that makes sense.
I got inspiration from this picture, especially how the cold frame is elevated instead of having a door cut into it:
You could also go for a longer L shape (further in to the sun) and just make it removable so when its not in use it can be out of the way. The only issue i see with it is going to be ambient air temp. Im not too geared up on torts atm but im a keeper of snakes and know a reasonable amount about reptiles in general and ive come across similar issues in the past. Both torts and reptiles are cold blooded so exactly the same rules apply. A torts basking surface temp will be different to the air temp around it and we all know what its like walking in to a greanhouse on a baking hot summers day, sometime you struggle to breath due to lack of ventilation not to mention the high, sticky humidity. If youve got a plexi glass container in the sun warming a hotspot to 32 ish without ventilation then the ambient air temp will also be as high as 32. You will need vents in the bottom and vents in the top on the opposite side. As the hot air escapes through the top holes (as heat rises as we all know) it will suck cool air in through the lower holes. Just something to think about as it will definately cause an issue on a hot day. The tort can go back outside to get air but then he cant get warm at the same time.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
That's exactly what I was thinking. I thought I could cut a section in the short side of the base big enough to fit the entrance of the coldframe. Then I could prop it up on bricks, leaving a gap so that Pip can come and go as she pleases, if that makes sense.
I got inspiration from this picture, especially how the cold frame is elevated instead of having a door cut into it:
That's a nice idea! Something like a "mini version" of these enclosures: https://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/climateframe.html

I'm just not sure about tortoise behaviour: they might not get an idea of a "warm greenhouse" and just burrow in the safest place outside. My redfoot does exactly that on colder days.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You could also go for a longer L shape (further in to the sun) and just make it removable so when its not in use it can be out of the way. The only issue i see with it is going to be ambient air temp. Im not too geared up on torts atm but im a keeper of snakes and know a reasonable amount about reptiles in general and ive come across similar issues in the past. Both torts and reptiles are cold blooded so exactly the same rules apply. A torts basking surface temp will be different to the air temp around it and we all know what its like walking in to a greanhouse on a baking hot summers day, sometime you struggle to breath due to lack of ventilation not to mention the high, sticky humidity. If youve got a plexi glass container in the sun warming a hotspot to 32 ish without ventilation then the ambient air temp will also be as high as 32. You will need vents in the bottom and vents in the top on the opposite side. As the hot air escapes through the top holes (as heat rises as we all know) it will suck cool air in through the lower holes. Just something to think about as it will definately cause an issue on a hot day. The tort can go back outside to get air but then he cant get warm at the same time.
This cold frame has a hinged top lid. I think this should solve ventilation/cool down issue.

Surrey, UK
I see what you mean. On the (very rare) stiflingly hot days we do get in England, she would for sure need some ventilation in there. Do you think that leaving small gaps between the base bricks and poking holes in the top would work?
Also, on such hot days, I for one remember still boiling, even in the shade. Surely Pip would still remain hot enough when not in the greenhouse? Just asking this out of pure curiosity, since I'm no expert :')

Edit: Just saw Alex's comment. That's true, it does have a lid that can be lifted up which should solve ventilation issue.

Surrey, UK
That's a nice idea! Something like a "mini version" of these enclosures: https://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/climateframe.html

I'm just not sure about tortoise behaviour: they might not get an idea of a "warm greenhouse" and just burrow in the safest place outside. My redfoot does exactly that on colder days.
True. I'm hoping she'll see it as a safe, closed off hide and enter it just for the security. Only one way to find out, I guess 🤷‍♀️

Surrey, UK
Very good news! My mum agreed to move the enclosure to the sunnier spot, and now it has full sun for most of the day! I'm absolutely overjoyed, and I want to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread - I probably wouldn't have ended up moving it otherwise.
It took a lot of hard work and produced a lot of mess (I now owe my parents a coffee for the inconvenience) but it was so worth it.
I'll attach pictures of the new location, as well as what we've done with the old one.

Attachments

• IMG_20240401_110600659_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240401_110600659_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240401_103057910_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240401_103057910_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4

idcowden

Walton-on-Thames
My mum takes pride in her garden and it took quite some persuasion to build the outdoor enclosure in the first place, so I'll have to work on making a case for moving it, since it would take a bit of repositioning of other things.
Your second thing to consider is that that enclosure is only going to last a couple of years more at best. Then you will need more room (at least double). I have Testudo Gracea (Spur thigh) which only grow a little bit bigger than Hermans (I think) Mine were born in 2020 and I moved them outdoors into an enclosure last year (2023).

They have a cold frame with ceramic UV heater (no light type) to retreat to on colder days.

I'd also consider making a lid for your enclosure out of wood and Chickenwire. Your tortoise is small enough to make an entertaining snack for a larger bird or passing cat. This is my effort.PXL_20240322_152713089.jpg

Surrey, UK
Your second thing to consider is that that enclosure is only going to last a couple of years more at best. Then you will need more room (at least double). I have Testudo Gracea (Spur thigh) which only grow a little bit bigger than Hermans (I think) Mine were born in 2020 and I moved them outdoors into an enclosure last year (2023).

They have a cold frame with ceramic UV heater (no light type) to retreat to on colder days.

I'd also consider making a lid for your enclosure out of wood and Chickenwire. Your tortoise is small enough to make an entertaining snack for a larger bird or passing cat. This is my effort.View attachment 368810
Beautiful enclosure! I love the little pond!

I don't think my tortoise is going to get too much bigger now (especially because "she" is suspected to actually be a "he"), but I am still going to extend it at some point. Do you know where you got your cold frame from, or did you make it yourself?

I was planning to make a chicken wire roof soon - just working out the logistics of how it would lift up if needed.

I also just realised how close to each other we are! It's a small world 🤣

idcowden

Walton-on-Thames
I don't think my tortoise is going to get too much bigger now (especially because "she" is suspected to actually be a "he"), but I am still going to extend it at some point. Do you know where you got your cold frame from, or did you make it yourself?
It was a bog standard one from Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004NCY5LG/?tag=
It actually works pretty well. I screwed the base of it to garden grade 2x4 to raise it up a bit and left a nice gap at the front as an entrance.
I was planning to make a chicken wire roof soon - just working out the logistics of how it would lift up if needed.
Mine is just a series of square wooden frames, using flat metal corner joins and rests on top of battening on the inside of the wooden walls. I made the square frames first then used a wood stapler to fasten the chickenwire to the frame, which made them surprisingly strong (especially given the quality of the wood from Wickes).

If you are ever over Walton on Thames way, feel free to drop in if you want to take a closer look :)

Surrey, UK
It was a bog standard one from Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004NCY5LG/?tag=
It actually works pretty well. I screwed the base of it to garden grade 2x4 to raise it up a bit and left a nice gap at the front as an entrance.

Mine is just a series of square wooden frames, using flat metal corner joins and rests on top of battening on the inside of the wooden walls. I made the square frames first then used a wood stapler to fasten the chickenwire to the frame, which made them surprisingly strong (especially given the quality of the wood from Wickes).

If you are ever over Walton on Thames way, feel free to drop in if you want to take a closer look :)
Looks good, I'll probably buy a similar one from Amazon.
Thanks for the explanation of the wire roof, I've found that super helpful and will probably use it when building one of my own. I'm eager to get started on it, mainly to ease my anxiety about potential escapes!

idcowden

Walton-on-Thames
Looks good, I'll probably buy a similar one from Amazon.
Thanks for the explanation of the wire roof, I've found that super helpful and will probably use it when building one of my own. I'm eager to get started on it, mainly to ease my anxiety about potential escapes!
Looking at your pictures, you already have internal posts that a frame could rest on. You just need to take off the depth of the wooden frame so all the posts are at the same level, then a frame will fit nicely inside the walls, and unless foxes develop opposable thumbs, it'll be animal proof.

I ended up making one frame to bring everything level with the front of the cold frame, then a second to fit between the cold frame and where my walls come in, then a third frame to the width of my chickenwire, and then a sort of weird shaped semi-permanent frame for the end bit.

I'm no carpenter, so if I can do it, anyone can!

idcowden

Walton-on-Thames
Beautiful enclosure! I love the little pond!
As we already have ponds in the garden and the enclosure is right next to one, I thought it would be nice to take water from my pond waterfall into the enclosure. I used a piece of guttering to go through the chickenwire to make a drainage for the pond and filled it full of large pebbles so that the tortoises can get out, and to remove some of the depth as it was a bit too deep. They can now walk across it if they want.

It also means that the water stays fresh for them to drink.

Sods law means that as soon as I did this I ran into issues with the ponds and need to re-line them.

Surrey, UK
Looking at your pictures, you already have internal posts that a frame could rest on. You just need to take off the depth of the wooden frame so all the posts are at the same level, then a frame will fit nicely inside the walls, and unless foxes develop opposable thumbs, it'll be animal proof.
That's very smart, I actually hadn't thought of that at all. Thank you!
As we already have ponds in the garden and the enclosure is right next to one, I thought it would be nice to take water from my pond waterfall into the enclosure.
I love that idea! Saves you from constantly having to refresh the water dish, and gives them a more natural drinking area 😊
I wish I had a pond in my garden so I could do the same!