Sun and outside temps of enclosure

Giannis

Hi

I live in Cyprus where outside temps are above 30 degrees Celsius in the shade during the day. The enclosure if the tortoise in on the veranda where it gets light all day but only had direct sunlight a few hours in the afternoon.

Do I need to find a way for the tortoises to get direct sunlight in the morning as well?

In the enclosure is hit by direct sunlight in the afternoon but the tortoise has a small shaded box to hide in will it be ok or will it still be hot?

Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
If the sun is shining through glass or perspex (plexiglass) then your tort is getting no UVB.

If there is no glass in the way, then UVB will get to your tort even if the enclosure is in the shade or it is cloudy. (I found this out to my cost as a teenager when I spent a few hours reading outdoors without sunscreen on a cloudy but hot day. The sun burn was dreadful :( )

Giannis

No its a cage. But dont they need to warm up to start their day? Because at 25 degrees celsius they are sleeping at the moment...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tortoises need to be kept at a minimum of 80 degrees Fahrenheit to be able to digest food and have normal bodily function.
A constant temperature below that will cause illness.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No its a cage. But dont they need to warm up to start their day? Because at 25 degrees celsius they are sleeping at the moment...
Yes. They need to be able to bask at 35C which they get from direct sunlight (it will be warmer on the ground than the air temperature) or under a basking lamp.

You asked about UVB which will come into the area.

If there's no direct sun first thing, you will need a basking lamp

Giannis

Yes. They need to be able to bask at 35C which they get from direct sunlight (it will be warmer on the ground than the air temperature) or under a basking lamp.

You asked about UVB which will come into the area.

If there's no direct sun first thing, you will need a basking lamp
Even in a 35 degrees summer?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It won't be 35 first thing in the day - not even in Cyprus.

Early morning, as soon as the sun is up, a tort will go looking for a place to bask and warm up so that it can eat and digest its food.

By the time the air hits 35C the ground temperature will be too hot and the tort will head for shelter. It will become more active again in the evening, possibly after sunset, as things cool down.

The basking will only take place first thing in these very hot weather conditions.

Your enclosure needs to allow that early morning basking and to allow your tort to retreat from the heat at the hottest time of the day.

Giannis

So if I have an infrared lamp to switch on when sun comes up for some time in a corner of the enclosure will that be ok?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So if I have an infrared lamp to switch on when sun comes up for some time in a corner of the enclosure will that be ok?
Infrared does not provide basking heat - it's not hot enough and it has the unfortunate side effect of colouring things red which makes tortoises think they're tasty to eat when they aren't.

A reflector bulb like this is what you need. Ignore the bit on the website about UVA - that's rubbish - it's a normal reflector that doesn't provide UVB.

An ordinary household reflector lamp is absolutely fine too - and usually cheaper!