Sexing Horsefield

cpl1307

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
I know it hard to sex Horsefields at the best of times, but if you was to guess, which I would never take as quoted. What sex would you say this Horsefield Tortoise is?
She/he has a smooth under shell bottom if that helps.
I know their are a lot of experts on here that could probably guess from the day they were born, So that's all I'm asking. Just a guess.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230905_100813_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230905_100813_Gallery.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My guess female. But of course they all appear female if they are too young to positively sex
How old is she?
Btw, Russians don't concave on their bottom shell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know it hard to sex Horsefields at the best of times, but if you was to guess, which I would never take as quoted. What sex would you say this Horsefield Tortoise is?
She/he has a smooth under shell bottom if that helps.
I know their are a lot of experts on here that could probably guess from the day they were born, So that's all I'm asking. Just a guess.
What size is this tortoise? How many grams?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I say female. Please read care sheets and ensure correct env is provided. Enjoy your female shelled warrior. :):tort::)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think its too small to tell just yet. As Barb said, they all look female when young, but that tail is looking pretty large for such a small tortoise and the cloacal opening is not near the body, but not near the end of the tail either. Its sort of right in the middle at this point. If I had to guess, I'd say this one will go male, but it may be female too. The secondary sexual characteristics will not show up for a while longer.

cpl1307

Lancashire
I think its too small to tell just yet. As Barb said, they all look female when young, but that tail is looking pretty large for such a small tortoise and the cloacal opening is not near the body, but not near the end of the tail either. Its sort of right in the middle at this point. If I had to guess, I'd say this one will go male, but it may be female too. The secondary sexual characteristics will not show up for a while longer.
The tail was tiny and tucked to the side. The bigger he/she gets the longer the tail is getting. Could that be a sign of anything. You could never see it 6 months ago and now it gone long and straight

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The tail was tiny and tucked to the side. The bigger he/she gets the longer the tail is getting. Could that be a sign of anything. You could never see it 6 months ago and now it gone long and straight
That is why I'm leaning male, but not 100% yet.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tucked to the side is male. Oh well you may have to wait a bit longer. Your looking for slow smoot shell growth. Ensure calcium is provided for hard bones, shell, beak and claws and add a cuttlefish bone to the enclosure. Enjoy

cpl1307

Lancashire
Tucked to the side is male. Oh well you may have to wait a bit longer. Your looking for slow smoot shell growth. Ensure calcium is provided for hard bones, shell, beak and claws and add a cuttlefish bone to the enclosure. Enjoy
She/He has gone from 56g to 248g. You can see a large amount of transparent shell growing round the shell which then turns hard and dark.

cpl1307

Lancashire
It's not to the side anymore. The bigger he or she got the tail started to straighten and now is long and straight. Could that be a sign of anything?

cpl1307

Lancashire
I tried the cuttlefish and it was never touched, So I just use nutrobal