Horsefield indoors?

tryme

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi

If i get a young horsefield can i keep him indoors most of the time? Weather in london is a bit hit and miss at the best of times

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Seems like you haven't got any other choice.
I can relate, I have an apartment, but no balcony.
And I always dreamed of getting a tortoise.

I would suggest finding out if a tortoise is the animal you absolutely want.
If you have some doubts, there are also some excellent turtles you might like to have.

If you do decide on a tortoise, a Russian (Horsfieldii) would be the best choice because of there bigger tolerance of temperature variances. I would go and read as much as you can about their husbandry, make sure you understand the part about housing, and lighting, substrate etc. All that can be found here, or at http://www.Russiantortoise.net
Also check out http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk I love that website, I contains such a good source of info on their diet, etc.

I believe, but that's my opinion, that if you provide (perhaps more) than adequate circumstances, you can keep your Russian indoors, however, if you have only the slightest chance of a good summer, or an opportunity to get him/her outside, I would definitively do it.

That's why I would also recommend to look at an outdoor enclosure opportunity anyway, so you can, when/if possible, put the tortoise outside to give him/her that bit too when given the chance.

I hope my opinion helped a bit, and you could always ask questions, and I encourage you to do so, there are a lot of educated people here with a lot of experience. I as a beginner myself learn so much here, and it's really fun to do so.

Take care,

Joey

turtlemanfla88

Hi

If i get a young horsefield can i keep him indoors most of the time? Weather in london is a bit hit and miss at the best of times
Yes ,but I would use full spectrum lighting making sure it has D3 . I always try to give mine at least a couple hours every other day if not every day of natural sunlight .If you use natural sunlight be careful with D3 supplement on food. You can over supplement D3 which is bad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are many, many tortoise-keepers in the UK and many, many tortoises that live outside there. In my opinion, if it is at all possible, that is where your tortoise should be.

If you do keep it indoors, he will need a large habitat. Russian tortoises need a lot of walking around room.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

StaceyJ

Boston MA
I keep mine indoors, except in the summer. Right now it's so nice out and they love to roam.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, as long as they have enough room. Do you live near a park? It would still be good for him to get fresh air and real sun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Indoors is no problem. You just have to make sure you design and build the habitat correctly. You will need proper UV bulb and a meter to insure they are working well enough in your enclosure. A basking bulb set to the correct temperature. You'll need a very large enclosure, at least 4x8'. You'll want a deep, slightly damp substrate for it to dig into. A nice shallow low sided water bowl. Plenty of hiding places. Maybe some potted plants.

I would still make an outdoor enclosure for fair weather.

Here are some threads for you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

tryme

5 Year Member
London
We have balcony doors but no balcony. If that makes sense? Its just like this...

BAL%20284%20Royal%20Chrome%20Juliette%20Balcony.jpg

This means i could provide a type of enclosure for him to get some natural light (it gets VERY bright in here) but he wouldnt have anywhere to burrow or graze in these circumstances. However his normal indoor day to day enclosure would of course have this.

I could also build an outdoor enclosure for him at my parents house for us on hot or warm days when i go there (usually once a week i visit) however im not sure how hed fair in the car (its a 30 minute drive)

tryme

5 Year Member
London
Any comments?

Also whats the best d3 full spectrum bulb?

tryme

5 Year Member
London
Also how long will he be classed as a "baby" ? As in, when would i need to move him from a rubbermaid to a proper tort table? Also what size rub would do him and for how long?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sunning them next to a window like that can be very dangerous due to overheating. Just be careful and monitor the temps. Also UV will not penetrate that glass.

Everyone will have a different opinion of what UV lighting is "best". They all have their good and bad points. Long florescent tubes are good if you can mount them close. HO long florescent tubes produce A LOT of UV and must be mounted farther away. Mercury vapor bulbs give you heat, light and UV all in one, sort of like the sun. All of these options need to be checked and monitored for and indoor tortoise.

There is no age or size that dictates when they should move to a new enclosure necessarily. I would just start them out in something big and then move to something even bigger as they grow.

The 30 minute car ride should not be a problem and I think the benefit of real sunshine, exercise and grazing in a large outdoor secure pen is worth the risk.

tryme

5 Year Member
London
Ok all sounds feasible.

Maybe sunning through the doors isnt a great idea however, i think it could possibly work as light gets under and over the glass shield. As you say, this would need really close monitoring.

The thing im actually thinking is that im looking to get a house myself in about 18/24 months. So was thinking i could get him out every now and then and keep him indoors mostly for the time being. Id also like to hibernate him for 3/4 months over winter. I take it this isnt a good idea id he/she is under a year old? (Or can this be done?)

Also i think ill go for a mvb type bulb. I was thinking a zoo med 100w inside a ceramic type fitting. Strangely enough the bulb will cost almost the same as the tortoise! Im willing to pay it if its worth it though?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
MVBs are a great way to go.

Young tortoises can be hibernated the same as adults. Many people opt to skip the first year, but you don't have to. I have hibernated many animals their first years and never had a problem.

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
I was told when I first got my Russians to use a mix of topsoil and sand but fairly quickly I changed for pure top soil because the sand irritated their eyes. Since I swapped I have had no problems with that. Just need to keep it sprayed regularly or the lights dry it out too much.