Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hello
I would love if someone would tell me how to tell the gender of a baby horsefield tortoise
I got a baby horsefield in August when it was aged about 7 months and would love to know it's gender if anyone could help me :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh believe me. . . if you had a male you would definitely know it. Males have BIG tails, almost obnoxiously big, while females have little stumps of a tail. BUT!!!!! you won't be able to tell until the tortoise reaches sexual maturity, as all babies look female.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
I always arrive after the best answers are posted lol. The other side of the coin is who cares? You have a tort! :)

You could also have fun with names like name it Brian, and later if it's a female switch to Brianne, Angelo to Angel...Christopher to Christina...someone stop me haha.

United Kingdom
Oh believe me. . . if you had a male you would definitely know it. Males have BIG tails, almost obnoxiously big, while females have little stumps of a tail. BUT!!!!! you won't be able to tell until the tortoise reaches sexual maturity, as all babies look female.
Okay , thankyou for the reply ! :)