Sexing a hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctrin13th

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
In Tom's "The End of Pyramiding", he named the hatchlings and even address them as "HE". I wonder. Is it possible to know the gender of a hatchling? If so, how?

Please teach me. :D I have a hatchling less than a year in age.

And how can I "mark" my tortoise so that if ever I buy another couple or more, I can point who's who. Or is there a physically unique natural mark (e.g human birthmarks) that distinguish one from another.

Thank you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You can't sex hatchlings reliably, as for referring to them as "he" I believe it is grammatically correct to refer to them as such. Me I just tend to call them he sometimes even after I know the sex.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
As Dj pointed out ....he/she is a reference name at this point. Some breeders will try and determine sexing using temperature/settings during incubation. Usually the higher the temp produce more females , lower temps will produce males.
Of course there is a trade off to this with possibilities of a less successfully hatching rate when playing with temperatures .
Happy Tort~N
JD~

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with what has been said. I refer to one of my sulcata's as a he and the other as she even though I don't know the sex. I think its better than saying "it" or always putting "he/she" when I write something about them..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. No reliable way that I know of. Every once in a while I'll see a hatchling and be able to tell, but usually not. I picked Daisy as a female and her clutchmate Peanut that went to my nephew as a male when they were 3 months old. On the other hand I have two year and a half olds that I can't tell at all.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I used a mail-order pet psychic to determine the gender of my babies. All I had to do was to send in a photo (that had been rubbed on the baby in question) and a big old check and she gave me a reading that she promised would be good for the next three years.

I don't want to share her name here on the open forum, but if you send ME the photo and money (in a check made out to me, she doesn't soil herself handling money) I will send you the results- and remember- the results are guaranteed accurate for three years!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Madkins007 said:
I used a mail-order pet psychic to determine the gender of my babies. All I had to do was to send in a photo (that had been rubbed on the baby in question) and a big old check and she gave me a reading that she promised would be good for the next three years.

I don't want to share her name here on the open forum, but if you send ME the photo and money (in a check made out to me, she doesn't soil herself handling money) I will send you the results- and remember- the results are guaranteed accurate for three years!

:D So sad Mark it has come down to this. :D :D On the other hand, I could use a little extra money.... Ummm my psychic charges less then Mark's. Same deal, send me the picture and money and I'll pass it on to her. :D

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Madkins007 said:

:rolleyes::D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Actually, I'm a part-time pet psychic and my predictions are reliable for up to 5 years...and I can reliably tell you what they're feeling, too.

Accept no cheesy substitutes. :cool:

Paypal only. :p

doctrin13th

5 Year Member
Philippines
I agree with dalano73
it's much better addressing my pet as "he/she" instead of it. They are part of the family :D
that's why i would like to as early as hatchling stage the gender.
while unfortunately, i'm informed that it's not reliable! hehe
I just wondered and thought maybe Tom knows how :D

o well, thank you guys for the replies.

And how can I "mark" my tortoise so that if ever I buy another couple or more, I can point who's who. Or is there a physically unique natural mark (e.g human birthmarks) that distinguish one from another.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I dont know the sex of any of my turtles or tortoise yet I rely on my feeling as I get to know each of them... My Sully, in my mind, is def a male, lol..

grogansilver

5 Year Member
:tort: I figured out how you can sex a tortoise! as baby, or an adult! and it should work, "maybe" buy a women's ovulation kit when the turtle you pick up urinates on you get a sample of it put it on that sample test strip and if its a male it wont give you a reading but if its a female it will tell you when she is expected to be fertile which will then be obvious to you then that it must be a female could this work you think? :tort:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
grogansilver said:
:tort: I figured out how you can sex a tortoise! as baby, or an adult! and it should work, "maybe" buy a women's ovulation kit when the turtle you pick up urinates on you get a sample of it put it on that sample test strip and if its a male it wont give you a reading but if its a female it will tell you when she is expected to be fertile which will then be obvious to you then that it must be a female could this work you think? :tort:
I like your thinking…..here is what the test is actually looking for.
Pregnancy test strips work by detecting pregnancy hormone from the urine sample. This hormone named hCG or human chorionic gonadotropin is a glycoprotein hormone that is produced by the developing embryo during pregnancy

The hCG Urine Pregnancy Test Strip is a test kit for the determination of hCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) in urine specimens. This test kit is used to obtain a visual, qualitative result for the early detection of pregnancy. Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is a glycoprotein hormone secreted by the developing placenta shortly after fertilization. The appearance of hCG soon after conception and its subsequent rise in concentration during early gestational growth make it an excellent marker for the early detection of pregnancy.
JD~
:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh. That should work for a hatchling reptile...

"...... ummm, hello? McFly?..."

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Tom said:

:tort: :D ill tell you Tom one Day im gonna invent something!!! "you see" :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
grogansilver said:
Tom said:
:tort: :D ill tell you Tom one Day im gonna invent something!!! "you see" :tort:

I'm so glad you "got" that! Funny.

At three months old, In January of 2008, I GUESSED this to be female.
23kvhae.jpg

This is my Daisy.

This is her clutchmate, Peanut, who was taken home on the same day by my brother in law and my nephew. I GUESSED this one male.
1oao28.jpg

Nearly four years later, it turns out I was right on both. BUT again, it is unusual for this to happen. Most of the time they are right in between, showing no real signs one way or the other. When guessing the sex, personality IS part of the equation for me. I do see some general differences between the sulcata sexes, but there are exceptions sometimes.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
grogansilver said:
Tom said:

I'M already working on it .....:p:D;):p

doctrin13th

5 Year Member
Philippines
Guys...
How can I "mark" my tortoise so that if ever I buy another couple or more, I can point who's who. Or is there a physically unique natural mark (e.g human birthmarks) that distinguish one from another.

M

Maggie Cummings

I use fingernail polish to mark inside the scute. A different color for each hatchling, or a number...like 2 dots or 3 dots. I use the number idea. Fingernail polish and dots. Just make sure not to get any polish on the growth lines. I apologize for my crazy forum buddies who crack each other up. I hope I have helped you...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does anyone know where to get those tiny little colored and numbered dots? I was thinking of giving those a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.