cuddle bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scbelt

5 Year Member
I bought my Greek tortoise, who's name is dragger by the way, a cuddle bone. He is a hatchling and doesn't pay attention to it. I also use the calcium powder because I don't think he uses the cuddlebone. I was wondering how can I make him realize its there for him to eat? And does it really help file the beak?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarah:

With babies its probably a better idea to sprinkle a pinch of calcium powder on their food two or three times a week. Most tortoise ignore a cuttlebone for a long time, then just when you're thinking you need to toss it, they start eating it. Just leave it in the habitat, soft side up, but use the powder too.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
My female Russian started nibbling on her cuttle bone a lot this spring, but my male, as far as I can tell, hasn't taken so much as one bite out of his cuttle bone. I think if they crave calcium enough, they will start working on it. In any case, it's best to supplement their diet with a sprinkle of calcium powder 2-3 times per week, but leave the cuttle bone in there for them if they want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.