Sex my tortoise?

rebeccalynn1208

This is my biggest. On the verge of 7inches. A little over 3 years old. Slightly pyramided because s/he was from a pet shop. ImageUploadedByTortForum1391563040.357096.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1391563089.739047.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1391563110.272506.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I'm horrible with guessing. I'll leave it to JD (n2torts) and the others. Could she still be too young to sex?

rebeccalynn1208

pfara said:
I'm horrible with guessing. I'll leave it to JD (n2torts) and the others. Could she still be too young to sex?

Not sure. I've always been told it's more of the size than the age but I could definitely be wrong....

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Yeah, it's more size than age and it's usually around 8" when the gender is "for sure". I could totally be wrong and there are always some torts that show their gender really quick while others seem to change genders over night.

rebeccalynn1208

pfara said:
Yeah, it's more size than age and it's usually around 8" when the gender is "for sure". I could totally be wrong and there are always some torts that show their gender really quick while others seem to change genders over night.

Yea I've heard that. I'm thinking a she but I wanted to get more expert opinions.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Yeah, my first guess was a girl. :D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Don't know who you've been listening to.... but you're both absolutely right!

Looks female to me.... it's the Brazilians that get it @ smaller size - males that is!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Woo! Congrats, Rebecca. It's a girl :D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Barely 7" SCL male Brazilian. Notice the difference: plastron patterns.. and anal scute configuration [ shape.. wide span ] compared to yours!

And 8+" SCL male.. concave plastron etc., etc.

BTW.. that pet store is clueless - in 15 years breeding, etc. redfoots.. I've never had one reach 7" SCL in 3 years!

rebeccalynn1208

Redfoot NERD said:
Barely 7" SCL male Brazilian. Notice the difference: plastron patterns.. and anal scute configuration [ shape.. wide span ] compared to yours!

And 8+" SCL male.. concave plastron etc., etc.

WOW that's a huge difference!!!! Thanks so much!

pfara said:
Woo! Congrats, Rebecca. It's a girl :D

Awesome! We were right!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
You are welcome Rebecca.. and your girl is a beautiful Colombian redfoot [ based on 'yellow' colors on head and "diamond" on plastron.. real close anyway ] - I love all that pattern/colors on her head especially!!!

Also she is probly at least 5 years old.. or more.

This was one of my favorites from the past.. notice dates in lower right -

This is how she looked when I first saw her -

Hope this helped...

rebeccalynn1208

Aw that's adorable! Thank you so much for all your help! I never knew her exact age since she is from a pet shop so that's awesome^_^

redfoots333

You can tell if it's a female if the shell doesn't come all the way down to hide the tail.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
redfoots333 said:
Judging by how the bottom of the shell I and how the back of the shell covers his butt I'd say it's a male.

Yes, but did you see that little bitty female tail?

redfoots333

I looked at the other pictures by mistake. Looking at the actual pictures of the tortoise it looks exactly like my female tortoise which is the same size as this one. I think it's female. My mistake. Disregard my previous comment.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
You have a Female……in the Pics.
Nerd points out a feature that is well defined in older males, although older females can and will show concave plastrons (just not so pronounced) as well. This is why when trying to sex an animal of this species, one looks at many identifiers to make a more accurate assumption.
Here are some Mature females …..Both Showing “Concave Plastrons”
Brazilian “Cherry”

“ Northern”