Pacing the Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
Hello all! I havent been on in a while, but something has been concerning my this past week, my largest redfoot (Clyde) is id say 7inches long now and nice and heavy, Clyde has never done this before, but he cant stay still, he is constantly paceing around the enclosure, his outdoor enclosure is huge, spacious, alot of vegatation, a redfoots dream summer home in massachusetts, im worried hes stressed, or is it about that time and hes looking for a mate? Or it could be a she im not positive..
Any thought?
Thankk yaa

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: Paceing the Enclosure

If you are not sure of gender, then a good clear photo of the plastron (undershell) including the tail will help along with the size (length) of your tort.

If the enclosure is large, it is likely that your tort is after something else, be that food ... or the opposite sex.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Paceing the Enclosure

There is a lot of spring breeding going on in tortoise land. If you have a male, I'd bet he is looking for a female. You might be able to help by making his enclosure more interesting. Add logs, large rocks, plants, things to break up the layout. Also, maybe a dummy tort, like a ball or statue, some seem to even like shoes.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Paceing the Enclosure

Well, we have 5 torts in the herd, he or she is the largest, ill get a picture of the under side of him shortly, but as for adding stuff to the enclosure, i think its pretty good, as much as a wild habitat as i could make it

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Paceing the Enclosure

ImageUploadedByTortForum1369413613.043108.jpg
This is cylde

ImageUploadedByTortForum1369413689.981560.jpg
And this is where he lives, grass hasnt came up yet

He cant see through the rock wall, or see over it, its high enough

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: Paceing the Enclosure

You have a fabulous looking enclosure. I take it you have other tortoises from what you have said. He may not be able to see the girls, but he will definitely be able to smell them.... it's spring and his mind is on just one thing! GIRLS! :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Paceing the Enclosure

DITTO to what JoesMum said, about the enclosure and the smelling females

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Paceing the Enclosure

ImageUploadedByTortForum1369416635.275057.jpg
His tail is long i think, and curls way over behind his leg, thank you for the enclosure complements, i take pride in making their home as wild as possible

Last edited by a moderator:

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Paceing the Enclosure

That's a male alright! My Tyrone is doing the same thing...he is pacing and humping rocks, logs, piles of substrate, his water dish ... It is not stop! He makes these choking sounds when he does it and scares everyone!

We tried putting a turtle statue in his enclosure and all he did was attack it and bite it...

I wouldn't worry to much, Sounds like a normal horny male.
if you have females he can smell them from pretty far away.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Paceing the Enclosure

I have 2 other torts a little smaller than him and he could caRe less about them

Status
Not open for further replies.