self-regulation of temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_bookish_tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, CA
I've noticed several posters on this forum recommend turning off heating fixtures at night. I always assumed that by providing a temperature gradient in his cage he would be able to self-regulate his temperature by relocating. I figured that he will always know what temperature he needs more than I will at any given time. So, what are your opinions? Do you turn off all heating in your enclosure over night, and if so what are the perceived benefits?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We must remember that we are reading a thread in the Russian tortoise section. We're not talking ALL tortoises or even baby tortoises. Steppe tortoises do well with a temperature drop at night. This is what happens in nature, and it should also happen in captivity.

Your tortoise has no more control over the weather in the wild than he does in his captive habitat, so its up to us to try to give him what he needs. We should try to mimic nature as best as we know how. Some people even go so far as to check the weather in the countries where steppe tortoises come from.

If you provide a thick layer of substrate, then the tortoise will bury himself and stay a bit warmer than the ambient temp above the habitat. Room temperature of 65 to 70F degrees is fine for an adult steppe tortoise at night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises from temperate climates do not have the ability to thermoregulate at night. They thermoregulate during the day when the sun is up, or when our basking lights are on for them. At night in temperate areas, the temp drops, and there is no way for them to warm up. As Yvonne suggested they do have the ability to seek out some spots that will slow there rate of cooling and possibly not get as cold over night, but room temperature in a typical house (60-70 degrees) is much warmer than what they would likely experience at night in the wild in most of their range. Many keepers feel that the Testudo sp. benefit from a significant drop in night temperatures. It allows their metabolism to slow down and more closely simulates the natural temperature cycles that they would experience.

the_bookish_tortoise

5 Year Member
Oakland, CA
I agree, of course, that they don't have the ability to regulate weather in the wild, but by having a temperature gradient in the captive habitat they should be able to self-regulate within the range provided. I'm just curious if Russians would instinctively know to move to the colder side at night, or if this is something that has to be imposed by the pet owner by turning the heating element off. Also, Is there evidence that a significant temperature drop at night aids in digestion? Just curious.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't believe a night temperature drop "aids" digestion. If anything it brings it to a halt or much slower pace.

I don't think they have the sense to do what is best for themselves in every situation. If you put a tray of grass and weeds next to a tray of iceberg lettuce, which one will your tortoise eat first? Likewise, they might PREFER to be warmer at night, but it doesn't make it "good" for them. They might also not be concerned about the temperature and just be sleeping in the spot in the enclosure that makes them feel the most comfortable.

Non-native tortoises in North America can do some funny things. For example, my sulcatas bolt underground when it gets hot. They seem to understand that too hot is bad and that underground offers safety from the heat. They do not seem to understand, however, that COLD is bad and that they can find relief in their heated shelters. They often take cover under some weeds during the day and don't have the sense to move to the heated shelter when night temps will be dropping into the 30s. I frequently have to move them there in the evenings. I NEVER have to move them to shelter on a hot day.

I don't offer a night time gradient to any of the species I have kept. I keep tropical species at a warmer ambient than temperate species, but no gradient.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
My understanding with Russian tortoises is that the drop in temps at night, then the ability to warm up under a basking light in the am, contributes to a more active, healthy tort. The warmth helps digestion. The temp drop helps activity.
This is from keepers with 30+ years experience with Russians. Obviously it doesn't apply to non Med or perhaps even non Russian torts.

And everything we do for our torts in an inside enclosure are imposed, including lighting, hydration, etc. The owner just has to try to determine what works best with the species they have, usually by trying to mimic their native environment, at least to some extent.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
the_bookish_tortoise said:
I've noticed several posters on this forum recommend turning off heating fixtures at night. I always assumed that by providing a temperature gradient in his cage he would be able to self-regulate his temperature by relocating. I figured that he will always know what temperature he needs more than I will at any given time. So, what are your opinions? Do you turn off all heating in your enclosure over night, and if so what are the perceived benefits?
All tortoise species in the wild, regardless of what part of the world they're from very likely experience some temperature and humidity change from day to night. Temperate climate species such as Russians, Hermann's, Marginateds, most Greek species as well as American Gopherus species all experience and very noticeable change in temperatures and usually ambient humidity levels from day to night. This change not only gives them a rest from constant active levels temperatures but also actually encourages a better and more normal activity pattern. In captivity tortoises that are kept in constant active level temperatures day and night throughout their growth and development period will usually exhibit obvious accelerated growth. Already developed adult tortoises kept in constant active level conditions day and night will quite often be in a constant state of restlessness and sometimes dehydration. They will often constantly consume food in order to fuel their active metabolism which can lead to foods being inefficiently digested leading to partially digested, loose or watery stool, or all three. This also contributes to dehydration. There are also other minor unfavorable factors.
In general many tortoises are kept much hotter overall consistently in captivity than they have evolved to be or ever experience in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.