Seesaw for a Hermans tortoise?

tortoise14

I’ve recently been trying to make my tortoise table have a few more interactive and stimulating elements so I was thinking should I get a very small wooden seesaw for my tortoise, is this a bad idea?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I doubt he'd use it, but if you think he'd be safe and not end up on his back, go ahead and give it a try.

Bee62

Germany
I’ve recently been trying to make my tortoise table have a few more interactive and stimulating elements so I was thinking should I get a very small wooden seesaw for my tortoise, is this a bad idea?
Tortoises don`t play with seesaws. For tortoises a floor that "moves" means danger and stresses them. I would not do that. Living plants are a good stimulation or build with soil a tiny hill in the enclosure.

Last edited:

Hollyb98

Bradford
My Horsefield tortoise has a little seesaw he will walk from one end to the other happily and repeatedly. I remove it from his enclosure when I am not about to supervise tho xx

L

LasTortugasNinja

I put a tall bright red pot with yummy dangling plants draping the sides. My tort gets a few nibbles, and walks around and around trying to figure out how to get more. Keeps him active and stimulated. Not sure about the benefits of the seesaw other than owner amusement.

KronksMom

Illinois
My husband recently build Kronk a slide. He is still getting the hang of it, but seems to love it. Our little guy seems to be the dare devil of the tort world, always looking for some way to go faster than his little tortoise legs can take him. But as @Hollyb98 said, that's the kind of thing that we would never let him play with unsupervised.