Seeking knowledge

pbmaz1

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale AZ.,
Good morning. I have a 2 1/2 year old Sulcata ("Tank" - I know, not very original, but my 11 year old son names him). We have had him since 8 weeks and he has grown up on tortoise pellets purchased from the feed store we purchased Tank from and the occasional slices of tomato. He is growing consistently and we now let him in the backyard for extended hours so he can roam around, investigate his new surroundings, and get natural sunlight. He also eats random weeds and grass when outside, even after being fed. When should I take him off the pellets (which he seems to love and eats "aggressively") and what should I change his diet to? Also, at what age/size can he live outside permanently? He is currently, when indoors and at night, in a large Rubbermaid container (3' x 4'). He is starting to scratch at the walls of it, as if trying to get out so he can roam around. I do let him walk around the interior of the house as well. I want to have his exterior home built prior to when he is ready. Thanks for any input/suggestions.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Weeds, weeds & more weeds and grass and many other such items. Opuntia cactus pads & their fruit, mulberry leaves, grape vine leaves, dandelion greens & blossoms, hibiscus....many items, including lots of grass, & hay.
You could keep feeding store bought pellets, but grass & weeds are better. You can add some pellets a few times per week.

Check under the African Tortoise/Sulcata tab here on TFO and you will find lots of info on proper care, diet, humidity & soaking, lighting, etc.

Good food - https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Tomatoes are a fruit (high in sugars) & shouldnt really be fed at all.

Upload some pix of your tort!

pbmaz1

Glendale AZ.,
Weeds, weeds & more weeds and grass and many other such items. Opuntia cactus pads & their fruit, mulberry leaves, grape vine leaves, dandelion greens & blossoms, hibiscus....many items, including lots of grass, & hay.
You could keep feeding store bought pellets, but grass & weeds are better. You can add some pellets a few times per week.

Check under the African Tortoise/Sulcata tab here on TFO and you will find lots of info on proper care, diet, humidity & soaking, lighting, etc.

Good food - https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Tomatoes are a fruit (high in sugars) & shouldnt really be fed at all.

Upload some pix of your tort!

Thanks for the info. Still curious about at what age/size Tank can take to the great outdoors full-time.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks for the info. Still curious about at what age/size Tank can take to the great outdoors full-time.

I start leaving my sulcatas outdoors year-round when they are 8"-10".

That is if there is an escape-proof enclosure and heated night box to use as their "burrow".