Season change

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbuckles9

5 Year Member
I have noticed my tortoise has become less active the last couple weeks. The weather outside is cooler (30's) but he has always been inside so that doesn't really affect him. The temperature in the house may be a little cooler but his enclosure seems to be the same temp. Do they sense the change in seasons and that is why he is less active? He is still eating daily though not as much as before but the reduction in his food intake is minimal. Should I take him to the vet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi tbuckles9:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

What kind of tortoise are we talking about? I'll bet its a Russian. They just seem to be able to sense that its going on winter time. Maybe its the barometric pressure or something.

Can you please give us more information:

how big is the habitat
what kind of lights/ heat do you use
how long are the lights on during the day
what kind of tortoise is it
what do you feed

Maybe a picture of the habitat would help us give you better feedback

tbuckles9

5 Year Member
He is a Hermanns tortoise. I have a full spectrum light that also heats. Here is a picture of his enclosure.

image-1942521582.png

The light stays on from 6:30am to 10pm.

tbuckles9

5 Year Member
Oh my name is Tamiko and I am from Mattawan, Michigan

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
The photo at the bottom opened for me.
Yes, do tell us the temps at the substrate level on the warm basking side and the cooler side. Your light source might be a bit far away, so the enclosure is not as warm in the winter months?
You could turn the light off at 8:30pm, that would be 14 hours, but the temps are also very important.
Do you have a digital thermometer with a wire probe so you can check?

tbuckles9

5 Year Member
The warm side of his cage is about 85 degrees and the cool side is about 68. I probably should move the light lower. The bulb in his cage is a Zoomed Powersun UV 100 watt full spectrum light and I use Cyprus mulch on one side and coconut on the other. Should he have a better bulb?

tbuckles9

5 Year Member
Will the shorter day (having the light go off at 8:30pm) make him more active while the light is on? I might try that

M

Maggie Cummings

the bulb is good enough it just needs to be closer, 12 inches away. Also you need to turn off the light at 8:30 PM. Having the light on as long as you have it now makes the tort too tired

tbuckles9

5 Year Member
Thank you so much! I will change the height of the bulb and the time ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.