Searching for Yellow Rads, The Decisions...

coastal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
While now into the next phase in the Radiated program, this lovely female has strutted her stuff across my radar. Now the decision of if she would be a good match with my male among other up and coming and already breeding. Big decision, what is one to do!

Proposed Female:
Radiata female 1690.jpg

Male Option 1?
foodhunt3.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Beautiful, John. If I were to diversify any more that's the next thing I would be thinking of.

pierce1979

San Diego, California
Beautiful. These high yellows seem to be all the rage, a breeder over here in southern California was asking between 1800-2200 for little ones.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
John, thanks for sending me the link on this, you better back up the Brinks truck on this female. Depending on when the photo was taken, she could be close to breeding age. Last year Barry Lambert had a nice pair of radiata that were 443 offspring that were almost 10" that were 15k.
This female is much nicer and will likely produce nice offspring with the male you have. These adults don't come up for sale very often at this color.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Beep Beep Beep ... Yes, my thoughts exactly, guess I better move on this one then!

JD - Yes, those two are quite nice. I have one growing up very much like the one with the fused scute. I'll be watching yours grow, mine also has the fused scute thing just not in the same place. I do not think I have ever shown her on here (yes she was sexed). Enjoy!
IMG_2672.jpg

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Nice torts If you have a chance to get this tort you should. Here is the male that I got from you, he is pretty small still and has alot of color left to come out

Attachments

• 09012014 002.JPG
    09012014 002.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 110

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Very nice Ed, hope to see him at 12" and smooth like he is now. Plans are being made to produce more males this year, sure could use them!

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Are you having them sexed endoscopically? That tort is so young. -And beautiful.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
What age/size is that practical at?
50 grams, however best to be close to 6-8 months so that the sex organs have time to grow into a visually distinct difference between male/female. Also will depend on equipment the vet has to use, and their skill set to sex this specie. The one in question was done buy a highly qualified vet specializing in sexing this specie with said procedure and photographic proof of sex. In other words its as good as it gets! Not everyone will have such luck, so you would need to check with the vet you will use and the equipment they have.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
50 grams, however best to be close to 6-8 months so that the sex organs have time to grow into a visually distinct difference between male/female. Also will depend on equipment the vet has to use, and their skill set to sex this specie. The one in question was done buy a highly qualified vet specializing in sexing this specie with said procedure and photographic proof of sex. In other words its as good as it gets! Not everyone will have such luck, so you would need to check with the vet you will use and the equipment they have.
Thanks for the info!

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
She was not happy when word got around a new girl was trying to take a spin!
IMG_2748 copy.jpg

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Holy smokes all of these are amazing.
And wait wait, hold up. There are vets who can endoscopically sex young torts?