Mazuri LS - BIG hit for the rads

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsboro, NC
I try to feed a varied diet, with some regular Mazuri scattered about, but I wanted to see if i could find another shelf stable option to mix it up with so I ordered a lb of the smaller pellet Mazuri LS.

I have not seen such an aggressive feeding response out of the radiated hatchlings, not even cactus or hibiscus has them acting this way. They are acting more like the burmese stars than the nibble here and there radiateds.

If you haven't, or are reluctant like I Was after seeing all the reviews, give it a try. It doesn't get as mushy but it doesnt take long at all to soften it up and even my smallest one had no problem going to town on it. Absolutely crazy (comparatively) feed response on this stuff.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I try to feed a varied diet, with some regular Mazuri scattered about, but I wanted to see if i could find another shelf stable option to mix it up with so I ordered a lb of the smaller pellet Mazuri LS.

I have not seen such an aggressive feeding response out of the radiated hatchlings, not even cactus or hibiscus has them acting this way. They are acting more like the burmese stars than the nibble here and there radiateds.

If you haven't, or are reluctant like I Was after seeing all the reviews, give it a try. It doesn't get as mushy but it doesnt take long at all to soften it up and even my smallest one had no problem going to town on it. Absolutely crazy (comparatively) feed response on this stuff.
Interesting. I could never get any of my Radiated Tortoises to eat that LS type. They devoured the original formula when I offered it (which was rarely), but spurned the LS every time I tried to give it to them.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Interesting. I could never get any of my Radiated Tortoises to eat that LS type. They devoured the original formula when I offered it (which was rarely), but spurned the LS every time I tried to give it to them.
Same here

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I'm told there are two LS formulas, one that doesn't soften easy and ones that does. I've only tried this bag, and it softens fairly easily. Perhaps it's a different formula.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I tried to offer our radiateds (some of them are also from Mad4rads like yours) the LS but they have no interest in it. They love the original formula though. Our Aldabras have never been offered the original formula but they go nuts for the LS. They can smell it from at least 10-20 feet away.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My little picky person wouldn't eat the regular so I just ordered the LS. We shall see ☺️ it's ok that I finally got talked into trying it because I've been wondering if he would for a long time. If not I'll have another small bag of Mazuri in my repitoir of unused food for the dufess ?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I
I'm told there are two LS formulas, one that doesn't soften easy and ones that does. I've only tried this bag, and it softens fairly easily. Perhaps it's a different formula.
Are you sure of that? What is the source of the two formula theory?

I guess it's possible, but it would seem highly counterproductive for any company to make two formulas of a product and make no effort to educate the public to differentiate between the two in their labeling, ads, or promotional materials.

Maybe the formula was changed since I tried it and that is what happened rather than there being two distinct formulations being produced by the company simultaneously for the same product.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've found freshness is a big factor in if it softens easily or not.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I find that the LS softens most easily in hot water. I typically put it in hot water (as hot as it comes out of the tap) for about 8 minutes. When I used cold/cool water it would often have a hard spot in the middle, even after about 15 mins.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My Torts devour the original but won't touch the LS version.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I

I guess it's possible, but it would seem highly counterproductive for any company to make two formulas of a product and make no effort to educate the public to differentiate between the two in their labeling, ads, or promotional materials.

Maybe the formula was changed since I tried it and that is what happened rather than there being two distinct formulations being produced by the company simultaneously for the same product.
UPDATE:
I just went on the Mazuri web site and there ARE multiple formulations for Mazuri LS. I think I saw at least three different formula numbers listed. I was having internet problems so wasn't able to look into what the differences were under each formula.

Here is the link for anyone interested to see what they offer: https://www.mazuri.com/mazuri/repti...O_hmCQa4_ZYOzmWe_TSJxmMEFqndOlGBoCoHoQAvD_BwE

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I

I'm not sure, I'd have to look up the source. It's been years since I've kept anything until recently. But I'm told they changed formulas, not that they have two concurrent LS formulas. I know I've seen ppl complain it won't soften, but this stuff softens fast.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I just went there and I don't think it's different formulas. I think it's different size bags. I was getting worried because I just ordered one. I ordered the 12 ounce. It also won't show me that it's for a Russian but I know it'll work for him if he'll eat it.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
All I know is that it says LS, the pellets soften very fast, and the rads love it.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Seems like there are only 2-3 different varieties on their site now.

Regular - 5M21

LS - 5E5L

LS Small Tortoise - 5M3A

CU - 5M4L I haven't seen this one before but the website says equivalent to 5M21.

Danimal

5 Year Member
MS
I've used both and the original will soften down to past like consistency. It has things in it like crushed hulls or something like that I remember people complaining about. Then the low starch formula came out and I switched to it. It's grass based and more crumbly when its wet. I've had no problem supplementing with either formula. I use the water turtle formula and the Meat eating reptile formula as well. I have one that will litterally run to the bowl when he gets mazuri. I treat it like the special feeds I give my livestock. If you keep putting it down they will eventually eat it.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
No thanks on the LS. . . I will get them switched over eventually.
2021-09-14 08.58.56.jpg