Scute infection/fungus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savannah30

10 Year Member!
Hey guys...had a middle scute on my aldabra that's widened slightly over the months...looks like some gunk (leaves, dead insects, etc)..got into it....i cleared it out, put some tea trea oil into it (a disinfectant)....but the edges look a tinge brownish...it's looked like this the last month or 2, hasnt really gotten worse..but do u think it's a possible fungal infection? Anything I can do to treat it? Id hate to bring this sucker into the vet...125lb tortoise aint easy to handle, but ill do if it needs be, but figured id ask you guys first..
any suggestions much appreciated ;)

Attachments

• scute.jpg
    scute.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 154
  • scute 2.jpg
    scute 2.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 123

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't really help you. But giving you a bump so more can see this thread. Also, you may want to email ALDABRAMAN he is the expert on Aldabras. Good luck, i sure hope all is okay.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Bump...how are you keeping them? I mean what is your set up for hydration to the tort and the shell?

Savannah30

10 Year Member!
Just keeping him in the backyard....rainwater for hydration just like the torts out in the seyshelles. Does misting help?

Savannah30

10 Year Member!
dmarcus said:
So if it doesn't rain does that mean no water?

It rains at least a little bit almost every day here in south florida, its the rainy season right now...whenever it rains he always goes out to stay in the rain and goes into his mout

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike:

That doesn't look good. That part of the shell is where the new growth occurrs. This looks to me as if it has been damaged (its quite tender as it grows). When your tortoise goes into his shelter, is there a hanging light or heat source in there? Could that portion of the shell been too close to the light/heat?

There are two different treatments: fungus would be treated with an anti-fungal or athlete's foot cream, while injury/infection would be treated with an an antibiotic ointment.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
emysemsys has great points, from the pictures it looks like the shell was compromised and is now shell rot. You probably have a combination of issues now, first the actual damaged shell and second the infections growing and complicating the new growth. A vet should be consulted for further medical direction and advice. What we have done at the directon of a vet was dremeled the old dead shell surface away and apply anti-fungal foot cream on a daily basis. A culture should be done by a vet to determine the type of infection. From my experiences that type of issue will not resolve itself untreated.

We provide plenty of fresh clean cool water at all times for our aldabras, they for sure drink daily and even in rainy season.

10hvfuo.jpg

2zef5sl.jpg

2uh31qp.jpg

Savannah30

10 Year Member!
Ahhh crap so it is bad...okay well I go to vet tech school...i brought him in 6 weeks ago and even the doc there didnt really know what it was....but my friend works with exotics solely, so i just emailed her showing her the damaged scute...i may just bring the sucker into her practice this weekend since they just deal with exotics...ill probably transport him in a plastic storage container (last time i put him in the backseat he crapped/pissed all over the backseat)

It's gotta be fungal though...before it was widened like this...it was kinda orange and soft so I basically cleaned it out ( a couple months ago), since then it widened slightly more I think...I dont see how he could damage his shell in the middle like that though...there's nothing in the backyard really he can knock the middle of his shell into. And no...there's no heatlights inside his sleeping enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.