Schools For Biology???? (Herpetology)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Soooo my high schools years are coming to an end soon, and the sentence " What do you want to do when you grow up?" has come up many times. I have decided that i want to persue (<spelling?) my thoughts and become a Biologist and/or a Herpetologist. I have done research and the University of Kansas, UC Berkley and I think a university in Michigan has come up. Any thoughts on this?

zgoldsmith23

5 Year Member
I, too, am graduating soon and, like you, I want a degree in Herpetology. However, I hate to disappointment you but there are no degrees available in "herpetology." BUT, you can get a degree in Zoology. Usually, you can get a focus of herps.

I know this because I want to become an Exotic Vet but want a B.S. before I go onto Vet School.

Good luck!!

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Clovis, CA
Ya i kinda figured there was no herpetology branch. How many years does it take to become a biologist? (im pretty sure a Ph.D is required) Or an exotic vet? (<Ph.D?) I'm kinda picking between the two options..

zgoldsmith23

5 Year Member
PowersSax911 said:
Ya i kinda figured there was no herpetology branch. How many years does it take to become a biologist? (im pretty sure a Ph.D is required) Or an exotic vet? (<Ph.D?) I'm kinda picking between the two options..

Degrees go: Bachelor's --> Master's --> Ph.D.

For vets, you usually need a Bachelor's then Vet School. Vet School lasts for 3 years so you are looking at about 7 - 8 years of school before you can begin your profession. :D

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
I am in college pursuing the same degree. All that you can really do is major in biology and specialize in zoology. There is no real degree in herpetology. You have to be a zoologist who specializes in reptiles and amphibians. What im doing is going for a bio degree with an interest in zoology. I will intern at a zoo, aquarium, etc, then either work for a zoo, university or organization. You basically declare yourself a herpetologist. I know its complicated. Its the same thing as being an ornithologist or ichthyologist. In short, get a major in Biology, specialize in zoology with an interest in herpetology. Dont bother going to a herp school they will most likely only have 1 or 2 classes in that field. Good luck. Were in for a long college experience.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I'm transferring (hopefully) to UW Steven's point for the fall semester to pursue my minor in Captive Wildlife, then I want to head down to UW Madison for my major. The last two years (I'm a soph) have been me boring myself to death on all the generals. I can't wait for a more specialized classes.

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Clovis, CA
ya i can't wait for high school to be over. All the classes you have to take to graduate are killing me. WHY CAN'T I TAKE AP BIO AND ANANOMY, ZOOLOGY AND AP CHEM AND BE DONE WITH IT???

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I graduated HS at semester ;)

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
I'm a college junior! And I was majoring in Bio, but now I'm switching to environmental studies/conservation. 95 credits in 2 years! We'll see how that goes...

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Once I get further into my studies I will probably take some wildlife husbandry and environmental studies/conservation interest for my degree. ...hopefully

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
I've never even heard of wildlife husbandry! What exactly is that? Is it for rehabilitation and conservation or the pet trade?
Super interesting sounding either way.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
A minor in Captive Wildlife allows you to get a job at wildlife rehabs as well here in WI. Places like Raptor rehabs etc.

I love reptiles, but with a degree in Zoo I would gladly spend it taking care of penguins or marmosets. :D Animals fascinate me.

Status
Not open for further replies.