Schlomo's badly injured beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
I was finally able to get some decent pix of Schlomo's beak. If you miss his story in the introduction section, he was brought to the vet hospital where I work having been found on the side of the road with this injury and I am fostering him. Many speculate its an old injury. He can eat leafy vegs on his own, however I did order him Oxbow Crit care diet to help supplement him while I figure out what is all going on.
Opinions? Suggestions? He's active, curious, and I'm doing soaks, letting him have lots of outdoor time, and he's staying in my bedroom at night.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374387877.445196.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1374387892.449852.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1374387904.360484.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He's active, curious, and I'm doing soaks, letting him have lots of outdoor time, and he's staying in my bedroom at night.

Sounds as though you are doing fine with what you outline :D However, when you say "staying in my bedroom" do you mean he has a bed/enclosure located in your room? It is good that when you are nursing an ailing tort that they be kept at a bit higher temps to help activate their immune system and help them heal....

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
My bedroom is close to 80° these days. No AC, plus I prefer warmer temps. He's just loose now. Likes to explore, has a box for hiding.
What do you think about his beak?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Since you do not know what his life was like before he came to roll with you....it is hard to tell....absolutely traumatic injury---is the break into his nostril area of does it end just below/short of his nostril?

Is the injury site still wet or is it completely dried out? I would be sure to keep the area flushed out/off with warm water flushes a couple times per day---I also would be sure to keep any flies from him (unless the area is closed up and dried)..

I also suggest that you set up a "spot" in your room for him to sleep in at night (as well as to go to when he feels the need to charge his internal temps up) He needs a basking spot available that reaches 100-110 degrees (this is required to allow for property digestion as well as to promote healthy appetite) as well as a spot that is comfortable for him to retreat to at night that ---while he is healing---remains at least 80-85 degrees...

I see what you are doing as your immediate set up...but what are you planning for short and long term housing for him at your home? You do realize that an outdoor enclosure is ideal ;)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I have no idea what I am going to do with him. For now, I'm his nurse. Was letting him adjust and get thru weekend then do a cytology Monday. Seems like an old injury. I plan to get him a ceramic lamp and set up a proper box for him for sleeping.
So you think at night he should be around 100°?

Been in the 90's here during the day. I plan to make a more Sulcata proof enclosure outside, but his fostering was sudden, I'm in the middle of a huge dog show week, and I have house guests. So he's being kept in warm quiet area.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He needs a basking spot available that reaches 100-110 degrees (this is required to allow for property digestion as well as to promote healthy appetite) as well as a spot that is comfortable for him to retreat to at night that ---while he is healing---remains at least 80-85 degrees...

Goodness no....please don't leave him in a place with all around temp of 100.....but he needs a spot that will allow him to get his internal temps up for digestion and for sparking his desire to eat....just a basking SPOT :)D) and you said that you keep that room at around 80 degrees so that should be good as long as it remains that-- even at night----increasing temps to the 80 ish mark helps to amp up their immune system which in turn aids in them in healing...

Dog shows are crazy for sure (use to show Eng. Bulldoggs) so I get it...and the only reason I asked about short and long term plans is that I was going to say that the set up for now will do for what you are doing but is not optimum set up for the tort...also, when that tort decides he is hydrated and can urinate---he will urinate ALOT on your carpet---tort urine can either be really messy and stinky (depending on what his health has been) to clear and water like (for a well hydrated healthier tort)....I would be sure to offer up some warm water soaks to allow him to drink---I bet he would greatly appreciate it...make sure the soaking tub is large enough for his entire body to be set in it and deep enough that he can dip his entire head into the water to drink--but not so deep that he can not hold his head out of the water for breathing....

You did good in rescuing him for sure...good job.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Update. I've been leaving Schlomo outside all weekend (inside with heat disk at night) while I've been showing dogs for a huge dog show summer weekend.
He's apparently been eating like a piglet! I'm thrilled.

I rescued him last Tuesday, he weighed 63.4 oz
Today, 73.4 oz. gained 10 oz in a week!!! That is nearly half a lb! I'm thinking that is a HUGE win for Schlomo and I.

Can you guys recommend soft foods for him? I am putting him on my lap and picking out leftover food goo from what is left of his mangled beak with hemostats. He hates it, but it is beginning to smell bad and I am afraid of infection.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1374545138.933605.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374545152.211320.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374545166.984302.jpg

Thank you all, and especially Cyndi for the pvt messages and technical help!

Sandy in Oregon
Schlomo the rescue Sulcata
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis)
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Awesome story !! I'm happy to hear this and please keep us posted.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Forgot to add...

My hard seems to be a tortoise Heaven. Lots of dirt, grass, safe weeds and shady bushes. He can roam, sun, bask, hide...and the dirt is hard clay, would take a bit to dig out. He's been more inclined to dig in loose leaves and sleep.

I'm making him a quite Rubbermaid enclosure, ordered some coco coir, a ceramic heat lamp, and Mazuri. I've soaked him for 20-30 min in 1-2" warm water every morning. I just leave him be, I don't watch. He's very shy. Should I cut back on soaks now? I've read many places saying adults only need a few times a week

Sandy in Oregon

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
what does the vet say?anything what he can do. to make it heal faster

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
The DVMs I work with also don't know much about them. One of the Drs is an expert on Bearded Dragons, so he understands. We are all having a fun time learning (and Re-learning) about them.

When I can save up some money, I'm taking him to the local tortoise expert. He will give me a healthy professional discount.

For now, he seems happy, he's very active, and eating...plus gaining weight! So I'm doing something right.

Sandy in Oregon

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I know there are some vets online here maybe they can help you best of luck and keep me posted

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as he seems to now be well hydrated, you could cut the soaks back to 2-3 times a week.. Just be sure he as water available to him 24/7 in a flower pit clay saucer works best. One large enough for him to get into. Glad you were able to connect with Cyndi, she's done a fantastic job with her Sir Percy babe:). Good luck and keep us posted. Sounds like your doing great. Hope you did good showing, I also used to show, Chinese Shar-Pei.

ainfalt

5 Year Member
Great job taking care of him. I'm glad he is gaining weight, too!

9see

10 Year Member!
Arizona
those pics of him are hearbreaking :( so glad to hear you giving him the best care you can

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
For soft food, you can pour hot water over mazuri and then let it cool. The pellets absorb the water; become soft and easy to eat.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm going to try soaking his Maz. He looked at it yesterday, but I don't think he can eat it as is.
I feel so as for him, but he seems to be doing very well. He ate much of his greens yesterday. I left a pile for him and went to work, came home, most gone, leaves spread all over the patio. PIGLET!!

Sandy in Oregon

thereptileenthusiast

5 Year Member
Sounds like you are doing a great job. Most sulcatas his size don't dig burrows yet, they just kind of partially bury themselves under bushes in leaf litter like you mentioned. When he gets big and decides it is too hot out, he will be able to tunnel in the hardest packed clay or gravel.

Status
Not open for further replies.