scary

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1011

5 Year Member
dont know any details other than what is printed or the circumstances on how the torts where kept or why it would happen but google "confiscated aldabra tortoises in the highlands" This is in N.J. May be justified, but if its not its really scary. Keep in mind everybodys definition of proper care is there own.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
mike1011 said:
dont know any details other than what is printed or the circumstances on how the torts where kept or why it would happen but google "confiscated aldabra tortoises in the highlands" This is in N.J. May be justified, but if its not its really scary. Keep in mind everybodys definition of proper care is there own.

Do you have a link...? I googled Aldabra torts the other day to see what they were.. Wiki says they are endangered..? I wonder if that had something to do with it??

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I believe someone shared this a few weeks ago.

I can understand it being a problem if they didn't have permits, were warned and didn't get them/try to get them. I was wondering how recently they moved in...they apparently didn't have any warm shelter or anything. Even if they had just moved in, maybe having this planned ahead of time would have been a good idea. According to the info put up on the zoo's website (the one that took them in), they were sick with RI and even had some shell cracks/damage.

From the zoo's website...
http://www.ahscares.org/showarchive.asp?id=886

Popcorn Park Exotic Animal Veterinarian, Dr. Bert Paluch and Dr. Jonathan Bergmann have been caring for the tortoises. They had upper respiratory infections and some had cracks in their shells, and the veterinarians for Popcorn Park are overseeing their continued treatment. They are presently being fed collard greens, romaine lettuce, cantaloupe and cactus and a special pellet food.

Three of the tortoises will take up residence at the Cape May County Zoo. The largest tortoise of them all at 320 pounds has a special friendship with Bergmann. He has been named Maximus. John has plans in the work to build a special compound which will include an indoor heated area for the winter time. At this time, it is estimated that the cost will be between $6,000 - $8,000 for this effort. Until it the compound is completed, Maximus will join the other tortoises at the Cape May County Zoo.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
pdrobber said:

I can understand it being a problem if they didn't have permits, were warned and didn't get them/try to get them. I was wondering how recently they moved in...they apparently didn't have any warm shelter or anything. Even if they had just moved in, maybe having this planned ahead of time would have been a good idea. According to the info put up on the zoo's website (the one that took them in), they were sick with RI and even had some shell cracks/damage.

Popcorn Park Exotic Animal Veterinarian, Dr. Bert Paluch and Dr. Jonathan Bergmann have been caring for the tortoises. They had upper respiratory infections and some had cracks in their shells, and the veterinarians for Popcorn Park are overseeing their continued treatment. They are presently being fed collard greens, romaine lettuce, cantaloupe and cactus and a special pellet food.

Three of the tortoises will take up residence at the Cape May County Zoo. The largest tortoise of them all at 320 pounds has a special friendship with Bergmann. He has been named Maximus. John has plans in the work to build a special compound which will include an indoor heated area for the winter time. At this time, it is estimated that the cost will be between $6,000 - $8,000 for this effort. Until it the compound is completed, Maximus will join the other tortoises at the Cape May County Zoo.

Keeping 4 aldabras in New Jersey?! I think there should be a law that large tortoises like sulcatas and aldabras in private homes should only be kept in Southern States, but with all the fumbling around with politics, I don't think a law like that is going to happen anytime soon. :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I don't think it is a good idea to say only certain states should be able to keep a certain animal.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think if you have the means to take care of a tortoise then where you live should not be a factor...

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
dalano73 said:
I think if you have the means to take care of a tortoise then where you live should not be a factor...

I agree with that :D

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
yeah, that's a pretty bold statement that would mean a lot of us on here that have sulcatas in Northern CA, OR, WA, NY, NJ, PA, MA, CT, MI, & MN shouldn't.

And in no way confrontational, combative or offensive, if large torts shouldn't be in the northern states, which torts should be allowed in Canada at all?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortoises101 said:
Keeping 4 aldabras in New Jersey?! I think there should be a law that large tortoises like sulcatas and aldabras in private homes should only be kept in Southern States, but with all the fumbling around with politics, I don't think a law like that is going to happen anytime soon. :(

I for one hope it never happens. Then we would also have laws saying unless you live in a high humidity area of the country, no forest type tortoises for you. If you live in a city or don't own acres of land, no large tortoises for you. If you live where there are not cold winters, no hibernating tortoises for you. ... and so on. It's not where you live, it's how far your willing to go to make the tortoise's needs a priority. This includes money, space, time, and emotional commitment.

Such laws tend to hurt the honest and good keeper, but won't stop the "bad" keepers.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
To paraphrase a famous quote " when you outlaw tortoises only outlaws will have tortoises"

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
tortoises101 said:
pdrobber said:

Someone somewhere thinks there should be a law that any tortoises should not be kept in homes in Canada. See how that feels?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I'm sincerely sorry about my sheer ignorance in my above post and being a total jerk. I give my deepest apologies to anyone who was offended and who still is. I'm very sorry for any trouble I caused, and I'll make sure it won't happen again in the future.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Do not sweat it. You were thinking in the interests of the animals, but the expression did not consider other possibilities.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
not offended at all...you're entitled to your own opinion.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortoises101 said:
I'm sincerely sorry about my sheer ignorance in my above post and being a total jerk. I give my deepest apologies to anyone who was offended and who still is. I'm very sorry for any trouble I caused, and I'll make sure it won't happen again in the future.

You didn't cause any trouble and you were not being a jerk. You just perhaps did not really think all the pros and cons out as clearly as might have been done. But you can see we all liked you well enough, to try to point out what we considered the fault in your thinking. :D :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's ok, Tony. I feel almost the same way you do, except for the "law" part. I wish people would realize the limitations they suffer, such as weather, yard size, etc. before they buy that huge sulcata or aldabran tortoise. They're cute when they're little, but hard to care for in some locales when they're bigger. I only wish some people would think of the animal instead of themselves.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
I wish people would realize the limitations they suffer, such as weather, yard size, etc. before they buy that huge sulcata or aldabran tortoise. They're cute when they're little, but hard to care for in some locales when they're bigger. I only wish some people would think of the animal instead of themselves.

This should be pinned at the top of each thread.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Shelly said:
emysemys said:
I wish people would realize the limitations they suffer, such as weather, yard size, etc. before they buy that huge sulcata or aldabran tortoise. They're cute when they're little, but hard to care for in some locales when they're bigger. I only wish some people would think of the animal instead of themselves.

This should be pinned at the top of each thread.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.