Need help!!! (where to place hide?)

Aruble66

Location (City and/or State)
Fairborn
Hi there! I’m a new baby sully owner and I was just wonder which side would be best for the hide! I just got speedy on Saturday and I had the hid on the hot side and I notice he only came out to eat a few bites and then went back in! So I started to worry! Today I moved his hide to the cool side with his food and he just has been layin in his water which is on the hot side and has been going crazy and won’t go to the hide on the cool side! Helllpppp!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi there! I’m a new baby sully owner and I was just wonder which side would be best for the hide! I just got speedy on Saturday and I had the hid on the hot side and I notice he only came out to eat a few bites and then went back in! So I started to worry! Today I moved his hide to the cool side with his food and he just has been layin in his water which is on the hot side and has been going crazy and won’t go to the hide on the cool side! Helllpppp!!!
Hi and welcome,
If you post some pics of his enclosure and the lamps you are using with temp readings at tort level, members can help you make sure it is a safe and happy home.

There is a lot of old incorrect information still being given to new tort owners so this is the caresheet you need to help you correct any initial mistakes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Rhe cool side should not be any cooler then 80F. The hot side should be the basking side of 95-100. All other sides and night temps should not be lower then 80.

Aruble66

Fairborn
Thank you! I had the hide in the hot side and then moved it to the cool side and he wouldn’t move from the hot side he was moving around frantically trying to burrow and I could tell he wasn’t happy! I moved his lights out on the other side of the the enclosure since he likes the bid where it is which used to be the hot side? Will that be ok

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Put the hide toward the cool side, keeping in mind that cool is never below 80°F.

It's important that we know what kind of UVB light you are using. Some of them sold in pet stores actually burn babies' eyes. If your UVB light screws into a socket, turn it off immediately, then throw it away. The only acceptable UVB light is a fluorescent tube-like bulb. When you tell us what kind you have, if needed we'll give you info on what to get.

As said above, some pictures would be a great help to make sure he has what he needs to be comfy.

Also, remember that he's only been with you for 3 days. Everything he has known is gone, and a giant comes near and might eat him. Until he knows better, that's all he thinks about you. Along with his hide, plants are a good idea in enclosures, but there are only a few that can go in, since they must be tort friendly, and must be made tort safe. Meanwhile, fake plants will work, as long as he doesn't try to eat them, as many do try. Plants will have to be another thread, as I think we've given you enough to think about for one day. ? :)

Aruble66

Fairborn
Awesome thank you! Here is pic of the enclosure but I since moved the hide to the cooler side of 80f! I will be getting the tube uv light this weekend and I’ll be getting different substrate but I am open to suggestions to upgrade his enclosure to make him as happy as possible! Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• ED6BD7C4-2D32-48CB-8016-AA477B45D094.png
    ED6BD7C4-2D32-48CB-8016-AA477B45D094.png
    239.7 KB · Views: 12

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you post pictures of the bulbs you use and what substrate are you using?
The water dish could be a tipping/drowning hazard for your tort because of the steep sides. A cheap terracotta plant saucer with sides that slope outwards would be much saferand if sunk level with the substrate will be easier for the tort to access and exit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
With a baby sulcata, you should NOT have a hot side and a cool side. The whole enclosure (which is too small) should be 80-85F degrees day and night. Wet the substrate and cover the aquarium. Make sure the temperature stays in the 80's day and night. Baby tortoises hide a lot. They're prey and are afraid out in the open. If you had a bigger enclosure you would be able to add a lot of "things" around inside so he wouldn't feel so exposed - plants, a big rock, etc.

Aruble66

Fairborn
this is a temporary enclosure his big enclosure will be here in a week! I have a uvb strip light on the way as well as I just was informed that the coil is not the best to use! I have changed the substrate to coco fiber and moss! I put another hide in there an I am doing the heat in the middle of the enclosure to ensure even heat! I also bout a ceramic heater for the night time to maintain the 80-85 temp! I have a thermometer and a hygrometer that will be here Saturday! Anything else I can do to make sure I have a happy healthy sully? I’m always down for suggestions to make sure he(speedy) thriving