saying hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

pafek

5 Year Member
hello to everyone- I am new to this forum. I live in Tucson, Arizona, and have a desert tortoise in a fenced in area in my back yard. He or she- can't tell yet, is around 3 years old.

Attachments

• 2013-08-09 12.51.09.jpg
    2013-08-09 12.51.09.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

Cute tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very cool. I'd love to see your burrow for him. Always looking for new ideas.

Hello and welcome.

pafek

5 Year Member
I built it according to the instructions on the Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum's website. It is much bigger than it needs to be for now, but will not need to be revised as the tortoise gets larger.

Tom said:

Hello and welcome.

Attachments

• 2013-09-28 15.48.19.jpg
    2013-09-28 15.48.19.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 34
  • 2013-09-28 15.48.31.jpg
    2013-09-28 15.48.31.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 34

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
pafek said:
I built it according to the instructions on the Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum's website. It is much bigger than it needs to be for now, but will not need to be revised as the tortoise gets larger.

Tom said:

Hello and welcome.

good way to go about it. i like your set up, there is a place for the sun to be directly hitting the tortoise right?

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

pafek

5 Year Member
nate.mann said:
pafek said:

Tom said:

Hello and welcome.

good way to go about it. i like your set up, there is a place for the sun to be directly hitting the tortoise right?

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
it's hard to imagine a place in Tucson that doesn't have sunlight hitting it somewhere! The yard has a mix of sunny and shady area, depending on the time of day.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
pafek said:
nate.mann said:
pafek said:

Tom said:

Hello and welcome.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
it's hard to imagine a place in Tucson that doesn't have sunlight hitting it somewhere! The yard has a mix of sunny and shady area, depending on the time of day.

haha, i can agree to that. well, that makes it official, you have a perfect set up. for now, that is. enclosures will always bug a keeper as we always find something to change/improve upon. haha.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
haha, i can agree to that. well, that makes it official, you have a perfect set up. for now, that is. enclosures will always bug a keeper as we always find something to change/improve upon. haha.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
[/quote]

Isn't that true I just finished my enclosure about a month ago and this weekend I was changing it all around moving stuff adding stuff. LOL... I have more I want to do this week too :p

By the way I LOVE your enclosure. You did a great job on it :)

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
haha yeah. i put my tortoises outside finally, that was about two weeks ago or so, and have changed it a lot.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Welcome! What a handsome DT and a great setup. Does your DT sleep outside or come in at night? I built a burrow similar to that for my CDTs and they loved it, but it was tricky reaching back and getting them at dusk when I needed to bring them in, so I ended up modifying it. If you have a secret back door or special strategy for getting him out, I'd love to hear it... Mine involved work gloves and cursing. :)

pafek

5 Year Member
thatrebecca said:
Welcome! What a handsome DT and a great setup. Does your DT sleep outside or come in at night? I built a burrow similar to that for my CDTs and they loved it, but it was tricky reaching back and getting them at dusk when I needed to bring them in, so I ended up modifying it. If you have a secret back door or special strategy for getting him out, I'd love to hear it... Mine involved work gloves and cursing. :)
I just leave her outside all the time. She has burrowed down into the floor of the burrow to get more comfortable. I can just bout reach the back of the burrow if I need to take the tortoise out.
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.