3 year old sulcata

davidwootonb

Location (City and/or State)
idaho
I have a 3 year old sulcata named master oogway but we just call him master. I have had him since he was a tiny hatchling that could fit into the palm of my hand. I currently live in idaho so he spends a good portion of the year inside but I will be moving soon to southern Arizona so I am excited to provide a life outside for most if not all of the year. Any advice for outdoor housing in Arizona winters will be helpful. I'm moving about 30 minutes south of Tucson Arizona. 20170603_170716.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

davidwootonb

idaho
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the night box ideas. The house I'm moving to has a good sized back yard and I plan on having it all fully covered with grass. In idaho I never did weed control because master did it for me. I will have to do research on the weeds that grow in Arizona so he can have a good all around diet. Is there any specific types of grass or weeds in Arizona to avoid?

For a pool I have a turtle sandbox that I bury and fill the bottom with large gravel so he can get in and out easily.

I have never allowed master to burrow in Idaho. And honestly I just dont feel comfortable with the idea. My main worry is if the ground collapses. I have thought about building some kind of underground night box were I can access it if need be.

I will probably be spending the next couple days going through all the different posts for what everyone else does in Arizona. I am glad I found this group and am excited to provide a better and more natural outdoor life for master.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the night box ideas. The house I'm moving to has a good sized back yard and I plan on having it all fully covered with grass. In idaho I never did weed control because master did it for me. I will have to do research on the weeds that grow in Arizona so he can have a good all around diet. Is there any specific types of grass or weeds in Arizona to avoid?

For a pool I have a turtle sandbox that I bury and fill the bottom with large gravel so he can get in and out easily.

I have never allowed master to burrow in Idaho. And honestly I just dont feel comfortable with the idea. My main worry is if the ground collapses. I have thought about building some kind of underground night box were I can access it if need be.

I will probably be spending the next couple days going through all the different posts for what everyone else does in Arizona. I am glad I found this group and am excited to provide a better and more natural outdoor life for master.

Yes.... good not to burrow. Check those night box links out - i would think thats the way you would want to go for your Sully. There are a few AZ owners on here, and of course California and Texas. @Tom will always come to the rescue too.
Whens the big move...and good luck.

davidwootonb

idaho
Yes.... good not to burrow. Check those night box links out - i would think thats the way you would want to go for your Sully. There are a few AZ owners on here, and of course California and Texas. @Tom will always come to the rescue too.
Whens the big move...and good luck.
We probably wont be able to move for a few months unfortunately. We need to get our current house ready to sell and my wife has about 200 hours of vacation time she needs to burn.

lovee50

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chula Vista, CA
Welcome and you will find all the info you need on this forum. I have been beyond educated by reading all the very informative threads!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome. @Neal doesnt have a sulcata but does have leopards and other tortoises. He should be able to give some tips about AZ weather, temps, weeds, grasses etc. The cactus should be endless for you there.
Keep us updated on your move.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Hi there and welcome! I live about 30 minutes north of where you're moving to...aka Tucson [emoji6]

I have a large 100-pound sulcata that roams my whole backyard. The weather here is certainly great for them year round.

I had built him a house made of cinder block sides and a sturdy wood roof. He sleeps in there at night, and having that shelter has also discouraged him from burrowing. I have a CHE in his house for the few "freezing" temp evenings we have during the winter months.

Lots of great weeds to feed and an endless supply of prickly pear cactus. I can literally walk 20 feet in any direction of my house and pick all I want.

Congrats on the move! You will enjoy Arizona.

davidwootonb

idaho
Thanks, I will definitely keep you all updated on the move and will post photos once I get his setup finished.

davidwootonb

idaho
Sorry for not posting sooner. Been busy with work and the move. We are finally all settled in and master has already figured out to go in his house at night. For his hide i took a chest freezer and cut a hole and placed a temp probe and a heating pad that is stuck to the side. Temperatures inside have been staying consistent around 80° at night.
Obviously he will have a much better home before winter but a freezer worked perfect for short notice cheap option.20190501_194700.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Sorry for not posting sooner. Been busy with work and the move. We are finally all settled in and master has already figured out to go in his house at night. For his hide i took a chest freezer and cut a hole and placed a temp probe and a heating pad that is stuck to the side. Temperatures inside have been staying consistent around 80° at night.
Obviously he will have a much better home before winter but a freezer worked perfect for short notice cheap option.View attachment 271237
Hey it works! Maybe buy a rubber doormat and cut strips in it and cover the opening. Or a peice of plywood so at night no critters can get in.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Obviously he will have a much better home before winter but a freezer worked perfect for short notice cheap option.View attachment 271237
Hey it works! Maybe buy a rubber doormat and cut strips in it and cover the opening. Or a peice of plywood so at night no critters can get in.